SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 ANY suggestions welcome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  08:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> Is it just me?

Yup, I reckon you've upset someone there.

Can you see the tiny little camera, up by the ceiling, behind you? That's the one ... I can see you waving now ... :)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  09:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Kristen, I haven't told any of them I think that they're negligent. I daren't, the level of service we get from them might drop!

Steve no function beer well without
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  12:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably...but then you're still an amateur (that's the consumption reference)...I'm not dead yet...although I felt like it

quote:

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead!"

A younger, but still misshapen and ragged man leaves a small house, with the body of a much older man slung over his shoulder. The older man is protesting feebly "I don't want to go in the cart." to which the younger man replies "Oh, don't be such a baby."

When the cart puller protests that "He's not dead yet," the son, as he is the son of the older man, answers, "No, but he will be soon and he's just taking up room in the house." The older man is still insisting, "I'll be better tomorrow."

The mortician insists he can't take anyone until they're dead, so after some negotiation, they both bop the older man on the head, killing him. The cart puller then proceeds down the street, taking up his cry "Bring out your dead. Bring out your dead."

Brett

8-)

Edited by - X002548 on 06/30/2004 15:48:52
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  15:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
elwoos, if your give me the name of the branch of the government then I can tell Watchdog - anonymously <fx:whistles nonchalantly>

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  17:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brett, I'd been led to believe that americans didn't understand irony ;-)

Kristen, you're a cruel man, not only do you tempt me with a job offer in sunny suffolk, but Watchdog too!! There should be a computer geeky version of Have I got news for you - it would be perfect

Just in case anyone thought it couldn't happen ... there was another episode today. One of them turned up to do some jobs (ones that were logged a few months ago which translates as ones I and the user had completely forgotten about). So the inevitable question was asked about how things were going, to which he replied that they were rather stressed. How I wasn't rolling about laughing at this I don't know, and just in case anyone wasn't following this, the jobs that were (partially at least) resolved were mostly fairly minor ones - certain much less important than the big project that they were reducing support elsewhere for, in fact this poor guy knew nothing about this big project. He's the only one who manages to try to do a decent job (when he's allowed to) so out of sympathy we fed him coffee and biscuits (without substances mentioned elsewhere in this thread)

I don't know how you guys will cope without the entertainment of my daily life next month - I just worked out that I will only be in work for 10 days in July due to courses, holidays etc. YIIIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  18:14:26  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brett, I'd been led to believe that americans didn't understand irony ;-)

--We don't, yet we revel in an ever-growing bureaucracy.

Kristen, you're a cruel man, not only do you tempt me with a job offer in sunny suffolk, but Watchdog too!! There should be a computer geeky version of Have I got news for you - it would be perfect

--Will this work?

01001000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110111 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Just in case anyone thought it couldn't happen ... there was another episode today. One of them turned up to do some jobs (ones that were logged a few months ago which translates as ones I and the user had completely forgotten about). So the inevitable question was asked about how things were going, to which he replied that they were rather stressed. How I wasn't rolling about laughing at this I don't know, and just in case anyone wasn't following this, the jobs that were (partially at least) resolved were mostly fairly minor ones - certain much less important than the big project that they were reducing support elsewhere for, in fact this poor guy knew nothing about this big project. He's the only one who manages to try to do a decent job (when he's allowed to) so out of sympathy we fed him coffee and biscuits (without substances mentioned elsewhere in this thread)

I don't know how you guys will cope without the entertainment of my daily life next month - I just worked out that I will only be in work for 10 days in July due to courses, holidays etc. YIIIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  08:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is now escalating! Maybe its endemic.

Some months ago I arranged for a number of people here to go on the T-SQL porgramming course. I negotiated that they have an extra day to cover a few areas that I thought would help them (and me). This was all agreed, done and dusted (or so I thought!). This morning (friday)I got an e-mail from Interquad (oops didn't mean to mention them) to tell me that the course has been postponed and will no longer be held next wednesday (i.e. three working days notice) as
quote:
the Trainer in question has read through your
requirements for the pre requisite day and feels one of our senior SQL Trainers would be more suited to this

Is it me! Couldn't this have been mentioned weeks ago? How do these people manage to run a business? This is the third course this has happened on (long story!) with them. Does anyone else have this sort of thing happen with training companies? In my experience they either charge an arm and a leg or they postpone, postpone and then cancel. This course now is unlikely to run until September as people will be on holiday etc which means projects will be put back which means that the money for the projects could be swallowed up elsewhere.

Where's that botswana ad gone?

steve

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  08:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you are lookng for a trainer for next Wednesday? How much was the course?

I mean, I could buy you a beer or two ...

By the by, your IT support folk pitched up in a thread whilst you were on holiday:
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37183&SearchTerms=elwoos

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  08:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, Kristen you've cheered me up, BEEEEERRRRRR sounds good to me

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  09:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristen, I wish I could take you up on your offer! It wouldn't cost you much either - there were serious complaints in the pub near me when the price of a pint went up to £1.20 recently, I think some people are still boycotting the place - suits me it's good beer (Sam Smith's)

steve

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  10:30:52  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to fly me over there, I'll do some training for you. And, there ain't NO WAY I'd be cancelling that trip. :)

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  17:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
derrick, I didn't know you americans liked warm beer (even if it is very good)

steve

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  01:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long is the training course? All day? How about you just sit them all down at terminals reading SQL Team?

Can you email me your address for Derrick and my invoice please ...

(The rest of you didn't offer training, so you're out of luck!)

3 pages now, and we still have solved elwoos problem, I presume this is NOT a record?!

Seriously though, I am impressed by some folk here who have high posting numbers because they think to post problems and discussion points and I reckon they are on a very effective learning path.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  07:25:36  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like beer at all. How's that for a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have high posting numbers because I'm an imsomniac Kristen. :)

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  10:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, lets upgrade MeanOldDBA to FreeTrainer ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
derrick

Maybe that's because you've never had warm british beer

steve

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  18:33:47  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm. Yeah, probably not so much.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  12:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LATEST UPDATE:

Four weeks down the line my little friends have just received a repaired tape drive. (No it's not up and running yet). And their priority is the file servers i.e. not the SQL Servers. In my more cynical moments I might suggest that was because one of them had stumbled across this thread.

Ho humm

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you backup to a fileserver using a UNC?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  07:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the moment I am copying the backup file to an external hard disc attached to my laptop - at least this is in a different building to my server(s) but it does mean I have to leave it logged in all the time and hope that the network connection doesn't drop. Not ideal I know but I'm not sure what else I can do!

At the moment we have two servers, one NT with SQL Server 7 which is the live system and one SQL 2000 on Windows 2000 which also runs Terminal Server, IIS and acts as a testing system for SQL. These two boxes are in the same cabinet!

I can only access the Win 2k one using my laptop and a remote desktop connection so I have a bit of control over that one for now. I have no idea how to get at the NT box, even though these guys tell me that "It is my server and I can do what I want with it", that fails to take into consideration the lack of access (physical and electronic) to it. I've been taking a look at some of the scripts that are kicking around here and they look as though I may be able to use them which will help.

To be honest the situation is complete madness. Our 2 servers sit on the virtual network that these guys administer. My desktop machine is on the rest of the network - where I have pretty much full admin rights and have done for years, but it runs Win 95, if I upgrade it I will have to put it onto the Virtual network that these guys run. Of course the problem is that I can't do some things with my SQL 2k server so I use my laptop for that (which is running XP) but on my laptop I'm not allowed to use the Interface for our system as it "needs you to be on our network" - Yeah right! I know for a fact this is not true but my problem is that my laptop does not authenticate to the windows domain that they have. So essentially, me and all of my team need two machines on their desks so that they can do their jobs - which is obviously costing public money.

I think I'm beginning to sound bitter and twisted but to be honest, on my part this is not personal. As people I like these guys. One of them is very knowledgeable but over stretched. One of them tries to help but is limited in what he is allowed to do (yes they do it to their own people too) and the rest just mostly bumble along. I just want to be able to do what I need to and am employed to without having to battle at every step. As I don't have IT literate managers it is essentially down to me. If my managers don't understand me, they will go to the managers of these guys for an explanation which means they just get even more blinded with science which they will just go along with so I get little or no support.

Whining over - does anyone from the UK watch the Smoking Room on Tuesday nights - it's hilarious but what I want to know is - where are the IT geeks?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000