SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 ANY suggestions welcome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you can use the SQL2K box to PULL the database from the NT box, and then back it up to your laptop. That sounds OK.

Still need that Fire Drill to wake everyone up once you've got a safe set of backups

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, your non-technical boss will know what a Fire Drill is, and why they are needed (and not to use the elevators lifts and so on!!).

Once you've got the data secure suggest to her/him that a fire drill is required, that you have made independant backups [make sure you have, and up to the minute of the fire drill!] and get some ar$e kicking going.

Kristen

Edited by - Kristen on 07/15/2004 09:42:22
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  17:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Kristen you're right.

But of course my illustrious leader doesn't see the need for contingency plans - thinks they're a waste of time.

Maybe I don't need a fire drill maybe just down the server and see how long it takes anyone to notice - in fact I could schedule it for next thursday (first day of 2 1/2 weeks holiday).

Or even better - I've been going on about security for a while, fancy being a penetration tester - there are some decent pubs around for later ;)

steve

Steve no function beer well without
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  01:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to have a hack for you ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  11:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the icing on the cake? Somehow I doubt it. I've now been told by these guys that the system drive on one of the servers (fortunately not the main one) is nearly full and "can I please do something about it". Well I cleared all I can and it is still only just over 100 Mb free. Of course this doesn't count all the apps that they have installed which I have no idea what they are or what they aren't used for (I say that as they were intended for use by another department who then couldn't use it so all this stuff seems to be left on their.

Anyway - enough ranting this brings me onto a question. This particular server has SQL server 2k on it. All the databases have data and log files on a non-system drive (i.e. not the one that is nearly full) Is there anything else that might mean SQL server is filling up the drive e.g. log files or something else similar?

thanks

steve

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't you ask Support? They'll be able to tell you what files are new, and which files are growing ... <thud!>

event log maybe?

Or you could use xp_cmdshell to grab a "DIR C:\ /s" listing and split the output into name/size and store & monitor them in a DB table over a few days / weeks.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  05:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kristen I'll look into that.

Support!!! Did you say support!!! LMAO

steve

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  13:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The didn't put the web logs in the default position did they (windows\system32\logfiles I think) That would be C:. Tell me its not true?

(Somehow I don't think this is an IIS box, but.)

Dunno if you are old enough to know how to use DOS<g>, but this will get you a directory:

EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'DIR C:\windows\system32\logfiles\*.*'

Useful switches for DIR include:

/AD - Only folders [Attribute=Directory]
/S - All sub folders (make sure you mean it!)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  08:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly I am old enough to remember DOS - Life was simple back then ;)

I'm going to have to send this stuff to my assistant who - well let's say probably his parents hadn't met when DOS was at its peak - as I'm flying off to Alaska tomorrow morning with not a care in the world (honest guv). So I suspect I will get multiple 'urgent' emails, texts, phone calls while I'm on the ship - pity my phone company tell me there will be no coverage over there.

I'm sure there will be another update in about 3 weeks. If he does appear on these hallowed boards please be nice to him - he needs it

thanks

steve

Go to Top of Page

cas_o
Posting Yak Master

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  12:40:43  Show Profile  Visit cas_o's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Holidays elwoos.

Great soap. I have just applied for a mangement position in the public sector myself, dealing with SQl server. So this post has got me worried, I'll be on red alert if I get to interview!!

;-]... Quack Waddle
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  13:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, are you elwoos assistantreplacement? He said to be nice to you ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  14:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristen has me sussed!!

Good luck cas you may need it.

Actually I have a plan too - a sort of sideways step which SHOULD get me further away from these guys and a bit more autonomy (i.e. lots more messages here)

cya in a few weeks

Go to Top of Page

jen

Sweden
4110 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  05:01:36  Show Profile  Send jen a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the entire thread and it was a scary coincidence. I had and still have the same problem. I think it's more of a work attitude. I did the same thing, backing up on a separate server and keeping the server near me (devilish grin) and out of their clutches. Mind you, I'm working in a private company. When I first arrived, it was a mess, backups were made but never tested for integrity or if they can be restored, and hello.... when i tried restoring their backups, the restoration failed.

Don't strain yourself thinking how to outsmart or even try to understand them, let them think you're with them and do your own thing. I agree with Kristen and Derrick, keep mails, notes, etc. If worse becomes worst, you have something to back you up.

You're better off than me, you haven't heard of:
1. "We don't need to explain what we're doing to you" (no need to inform me 'dba' of the changes they're doing on the network?!!! And when something happens, we're all at a lost and can't tell us the reason for these problems?!!! If I knew what they did, the 30 minute response time will not be more than 1 minute)

2. "We've been here for 4 years and there was no problem until you (me, of course) came." Heck, the entire system is in chaos and they restart the servers to solve one freaky deadlock?

3. "We know what were doing and we don't need to explain it to you". So when we ask why the server wouldn't boot up or a trust connection could not be established, they just say "we honestly don't know what happened".

Elwoos, if you have a breakthrough on your issues, please do share, maybe I can try them myself.

quote:
Originally posted by elwoos

Kristen has me sussed!!

Good luck cas you may need it.

Actually I have a plan too - a sort of sideways step which SHOULD get me further away from these guys and a bit more autonomy (i.e. lots more messages here)

cya in a few weeks

Go to Top of Page

cas_o
Posting Yak Master

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Visit cas_o's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to stay here! I have all my own SQL servers on my own network with full access to everything, and everybody does what I tell them to do. It's hard enough keeping everything running smoothley and backed up as it is, without having to deal with departmental politics. I thought there might be something better out there, but I'm beginning to realise I should be counting my lucky stars, I may be underpaid at the moment, but in a lot of ways I'm very lucky, I won't be so quick to feel sorry for myself anymore.

;-]... Quack Waddle
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  10:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoos

Sadly I am old enough to remember DOS - Life was simple back then ;)Steve no function beer well without

Whatdya mean back then?

Whatdya think xp_cmdshell is?

Don't you write batch file today?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  03:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Cas_o Do you need an assistant? How far from Yorkshire are you?

An update. I daren't ccall it a success for fear of what could happen. During my absence they agreed to backup one specific folder on the server (including anything that is put in there). Not quite sure how they're doing it but I have it in writing that this is happening. Hands up everyone who thinks I should trust this, in fact forget that, how about a vote.

Should I:-

a) believe what they say and when it all goes pear shaped produce the evidence of what they have said
b) keep doing what I am doing now and have my own backup system even though it is duplication of effort and therefore wasting taxpayers money
c) sit in a corner and burble
d) just look for another job
e) become a bus driver which is almost as well paid in my area and mostly less stressful (apart from the occasional stabbings

steve

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  05:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a "Fire Drill" recovery test?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  07:30:30  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just send out an email once a week requesting a random restore from tape of a file. That will keep them on their feet. Anytime they can't produce it, copy your boss and their boss.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  12:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I thought I could be mean ;-)

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It works.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

United Kingdom
2050 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  06:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bizzarely enough there has been another twist to this exciting episode.

Those of you who have been following this may recall that my manager felt that contingency plans were a waste of time. She is now telling me off for "Not making it sufficiently clear how important it is that regular backups take place".

Perhaps I'm missing something here, I can understand that she knows nothing about IT but what in

"There are no Backups being done, this means that if the server crashes we will not be able to get the information back, the system will stop working as will everyone (apart from her) else"

is complicated. I realise that the phrase server crash is geek speak but... AAARGH!

If I wasn't bald already I'd be tearing clumps of hair out

steve

Edited by - elwoos on 09/09/2004 06:58:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000