Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 permission and ms sql services

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-18 : 10:06:06
kedar Badisetti writes "Hi

how I can give permission to user, to start and stop
ms sql server services

thank you"

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-18 : 12:34:17
You can probably just give them power users in Windows. They might need Local Admin though. So there is no permission in SQL Server that you can grant for this, only at the Windows level.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-18 : 13:29:08
Why would you want to do this???????? If you're trying to do this from SQL Server, they will need access to xp_cmdshell to run net commands. To run net commands, they will need to be power users or administrators. I can't imagine ever letting a user do this though. ???????

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-18 : 13:30:54
Me either. If someone needs to be able to do this, then that someone should be a DBA or a server administrator. No one else should be able to touch the services.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-18 : 15:04:06
FWIW I look after a web site for a Mom & Pop outfit that has this ability.

If I'm away they have a scheduled to go through when things are bad - this includes Stop/Start SQL & IIS (via a record set in the DB using a front end application; this row is interogated by a task running every 10 minutes), and if that doesn't work a similarly scheduled task that will reboot the machine.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -