Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - SQL Server 2005/Yukon
 some nugget's from a yukon demo...

Author  Topic 

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 05:39:20
Managed to crack the nod for a Yukon Conference at MS offices, so a few points that we saw there - bear in mind this was based on beta 1 , and of course, all details may change (and probably will ).

It seems that Yukon Beta 2 will be available from MSDN (July I think), and available for download.

Auto-completion in of SQL is in beta 1, but beig removed apparently

I can see it taking DBA's who have not coding environment experience (raises hand) a bit of time getting used to the SQL workbench, BUT EM IS GONE (ding dong the witch is dead ...*yay* )

DTS ... basically been re-written to the extent that apparently YUKON will keep a "legacy" version of DTS to support old DTS packages, but you will have to re-write them to create them in Yukon DTS - no migration (it would seem). There will be support for loops in DTS, and many other cool things...

Your .Net dll's with functions etc. can be built as assemblies, and added into a database, so that they can be called as function etc. These assemblies are saved as part of the database - no DLL needed to ship to client (as I understood (? ) it). So those math functions and string function that code handles so much better, can become "part" of the database, now.

Yukon can now "host" endpoints, and "listen" for http calls... I don't pretend to understand that bit, but it was interesting...

Yukon's support for XML has expanded quite considerably - you have the XML data type, that will ensure that the XML inserted is valid. However, you can create (forget the proper word for it - I belive it might be SCHEMA) template's that can be defined, like a constraint, on an XML column. It will then enforce that XML received meets the "template's" definition. Indexing works differently on XML - you CAN index, but it doesn't apply to where criteria, just to getting data - eg, if you index <age>, and then query <age> = 12 (syntax was XML query is quite different, btw), it will return rows <age>, even if <age> not equal to 12 (or so his example showed ...). He also mentioned that XML columns can have full text indexes, which will work like normal indexes.

You can apparently define classes as data type for tables, which will have methods etc. He specifically said that these cannot be overloaded. Variables can also be defined on those data types.

TRY ... CATCH logic can be done in Stored procedures...

hmm - when I get the notes, I might add more, as I see it. Hope this was some value ... remember, the above is (a) most likely to change; (b) my interpretation/understanding of a very full day - I may have mis-understood.

Anyways, ciao

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 05:49:23
Thanks for that update Wanderer.
Very Interesting - I'm quite excited now - to get a new toy.

At which of the MS Offices did they have the conference - I don't think it was here at Cape Town was it? Or are you one of those JHB people?

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 05:51:15
Duane, it was at CPT ... I was wondering if you were one of the people there - we had about 40+ people. It was yesterday, all day.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 05:54:23
Damn... Didn't hear of it.

I must keep up to date with this stuff.

Hey - If you hear of any more of these please let me know.

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 06:00:16
Will do - just sent you an email about the user group - hope you got it.

CiaO

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-22 : 15:37:17
quote:
These assemblies are saved as part of the database - no DLL needed to ship to client (as I understood (? ) it).

This is true. The assembly is saved as part of the database. If it was not done this way (And you were required to store the assembly outside of SQL Server) then database backups would not capture the assembly, and would therefore not be complete.

-Chad

http://www.clrsoft.com

Software built for the Common Language Runtime.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 04:02:52
hmmm - seem's I might not be entirely correct about being unable to convert 2K DTS to YUKON DTS:
quote:

DTS 2000 package migration wizard will help migrate packages to DTS “Yukon”, and provide warnings where upgrade is problematic.

They do mention about the having a 2K DTS as well as a YUKON DTS to be able to run "unmigrated/unmigratable" packages.

BTW - apparently, the official name will be SQL Server 2005. Current target date (yeah right) is Q2 2005 ... which the presenter interpretted as 24:00, June 30, 005, PACIFIC TIME... MAYBE :-)

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 07:30:00
I've heard the release date referred to as June 63rd, 2005.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 07:40:43
And release doesn't always mean available.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 08:15:03
now now ... be nice :-)

I doubt I'll be using it anywhere for at least 6 months to a year after "available" date, certainly not in a production environment at least. That gives enough time for, perhaps, the first SP :-)

Sandboxing is another matter, though

CiaO

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 08:18:30
Hey Regan - Congrats 400!

r u going to the rs presentation today?

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-25 : 08:32:44
nah - no can do :-(

13 to go, eh Duane :-) And it only took me 3 years :-P

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -