SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 sp_indexes_rowset and sp_tables_rowset
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lghollow
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  14:40:22  Show Profile  Send lghollow an AOL message
While running a trace I noticed the sp_indexes_rowset and sp_table_rowset stored procedures were running numereous times. I can't find any decent documentation that tells me what is calling these? anyone have any info?

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  23:37:17  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message
It's using these to access the catalog and collect information about tables and indexes. Do you also have recompiles during this time?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

lghollow
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  00:40:08  Show Profile  Send lghollow an AOL message
a few recompiles were noticed, but the number of times these SP's are run far out way then recompiles at a ration of 10-1.
Go to Top of Page

bigwhacker
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  13:58:42  Show Profile
I have an ASP application - that for just a couple SQL Statements - causes the sp_indexes_rowset and sp_primary_keys_rowset to get invoked under a separate connection.

I found a KB article 297266 that infers that something about ADO determines that extra meta-data is needed and that causes the above stored procedures to get called - but there is no explaination about the root cause. These statements are being called thousands of times a day and have been at the top of the list of high resource usage statements.

Anyone familiar with what causes this?
Go to Top of Page

fhanlon
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  13:21:11  Show Profile
ARe you refering to the tables using the owner.tablename format or are you just using the tablename SELECT a from dbo.tablea versus SELECT a from tablea. If you are not qualifying the table with the owner, try this and see if sQL still needs to fetch Metadata
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000