Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 sp_indexes_rowset and sp_tables_rowset

Author  Topic 

lghollow
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-08 : 14:40:22
While running a trace I noticed the sp_indexes_rowset and sp_table_rowset stored procedures were running numereous times. I can't find any decent documentation that tells me what is calling these? anyone have any info?

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-08 : 23:37:17
It's using these to access the catalog and collect information about tables and indexes. Do you also have recompiles during this time?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

lghollow
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-11 : 00:40:08
a few recompiles were noticed, but the number of times these SP's are run far out way then recompiles at a ration of 10-1.
Go to Top of Page

bigwhacker
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-03 : 13:58:42
I have an ASP application - that for just a couple SQL Statements - causes the sp_indexes_rowset and sp_primary_keys_rowset to get invoked under a separate connection.

I found a KB article 297266 that infers that something about ADO determines that extra meta-data is needed and that causes the above stored procedures to get called - but there is no explaination about the root cause. These statements are being called thousands of times a day and have been at the top of the list of high resource usage statements.

Anyone familiar with what causes this?
Go to Top of Page

fhanlon
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-16 : 13:21:11
ARe you refering to the tables using the owner.tablename format or are you just using the tablename SELECT a from dbo.tablea versus SELECT a from tablea. If you are not qualifying the table with the owner, try this and see if sQL still needs to fetch Metadata
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -