Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 DB Conversion Needs Survey

Author  Topic 

smarkman
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2004-07-19 : 14:10:53
In keeping with the user community nature of this forum, I was hoping you could all help me understand your needs in terms of db conversion tools. By db conversion I mean not just data migration and schema migration but also the conversion of business logic (i.e. stored procedures, triggers, functions, etc.) and the testing of such conversions.

In particular, what type of conversions have you performed, expect to perform or need to find a way to perform, or know that someone else has to perform? (e.g. Oracle to SQL Server?, SQL Server to DB2?, Sybase to Oracle? Sybase to SQL Server? etc.).

With respect to conversions of this nature, are there specific issues you want to make sure are addressed? (e.g. app rewriting, performance tuning, etc).

Your answers to these and probably some followups in the discussion will be used to shape development priorities. I appreciate your help and I hope I have not offended anyone with this posting. I just thought to myself "where else can anyone get the straight skinny?". Thanks.

Steve Markman
408-348-1370

- Advertisement -