Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 view too big

Author  Topic 

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 12:09:08
I have a view that is too big to open. SQL Server threw Timeout expired.

I know one option is to purge the data.

My questions are:
If I build index on some of the columns, will that improve its performance?
What about if I build a second view based on it with a narrower set of columns, does this solve the problem?
And, if users don't mind to wait, how can I increase the timeout buffer?

Thanks in advance!

lauramayer
Posting Yak Master

152 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 12:26:33
I was always taught a view based on another view was a bad idea. Can you narrow the parameters of the query? I have a table with 3 million records in it. In order to get anything worthwhile out of it and in a timely manner I have to make the query/view as specific as possible.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 14:05:08
What application are you using that's getting the timeout? You should be able to set the timeout to whatever you want where you define the connection. Building indexes on some columns could improve performance if the columns are used in the FROM or WHERE clauses. Instead of building a second view, build another view that's more specific and drives off the base tables.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 15:12:35
Thank you Laura and Derirck.

The timeout occured in MS Access. Then when I tried to open view (return all rows) in EM, it happened again.

As it is i Access linked table, I do not have a place to set timeout in connection string. Also, it will be very hard to find out which fields/records could be eliminated since there are hundreds of places that use this view.

Oh, well, I got the idea, and will fight through it.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 15:15:31
How many rows should the view return? You shouldn't do a SELECT * FROM ViewName whether it be from Access, EM, or Query Analyzer? If it's returning millions or even thousands of rows, you should be putting a WHERE clause on it as well. If you don't want to filter the data with a WHERE clause, at least use TOP 1000 to get a preliminary look at the data. And yes putting indexes on the view would help out, but you could also index the columns on the tables involved in the view.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-21 : 15:44:16
Does SELECT TOP 10 * FROM MyView time out? SELECT TOP 100 ... ? SELECT TOP 1000 ... ?

You get the idea! then restrict the queries to only allowing a max of that number of records.

Does this also time out:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM MyView

If not, and the SELECT * thingie times out at, say, 50,126 rows then

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM MyWView WHERE ...) > 50126
BEGIN
SELECT [ERROR]='Sorry, you and trying to retrieve more than 50,126 rows, and I've tried it and it can't be done, so please try a smaller query'
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SELECT * FROM MyView WHERE ...
END

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -