Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restricting Data Export and Import

Author  Topic 

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-23 : 04:23:49
Hi, does anyone know how to restrict data import and export to specific users/servers only? Or is there a way to prevent import and export of data even if the user has an account on a database?

thanks in advance

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-23 : 05:43:06
Do you mean using DTS, or by setting permissions on a table to DENY access to given users "period"?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 01:58:30
I mean the DTS wizard . I want to restrict my users from using the wizard without having to deny them the "comfort" of the enterprise manager.

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Do you mean using DTS, or by setting permissions on a table to DENY access to given users "period"?

Kristen

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 02:02:29
Uninstall the DTS app. maybe? Can't think of anything else

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 02:33:43
I was afraid someone would answer that

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Uninstall the DTS app. maybe? Can't think of anything else

Kristen

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 12:23:08
Well you can't uninstall DTS. It comes with the SQL Client Tools. To answer your question, no you can't prevent someone from using it if they've got the proper permissions on the objects already.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 22:57:18
Probably you have a better idea of what I want to do. There are basic permissions set to users, but if they start exporting the data, then I need something to prevent them from doing so. Importing to the server is easy to manage but exporting from this server to an unknown target is pretty much difficult unless if there's something that will prevent this from happenning or atleast managing to a certain level (like an audit trail for those who used the dts, getting the ip address of the target, account used, how much of the data was transferred, etc).

Any idea is good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by tduggan

Well you can't uninstall DTS. It comes with the SQL Client Tools. To answer your question, no you can't prevent someone from using it if they've got the proper permissions on the objects already.

Tara

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 23:34:31
If you need this level of security, you need to redesign your permission schema.

1. Users have EXEC permissions on procedures ONLY.
2. The public group is restricted to a bare minimum of what it needs.

If you do this, it won't matter if they have access to DTS. There won't be anything they can see with it.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 00:44:38
Thanks for the replies guys, I am still hoping there is some other way aside from redesigning.I actually did this to one server and the reactions were not pretty good. Developers were breathing down my neck, but ofcourse i'm the dba. They coped up, but i'm not planning to do this on the other servers unless there is still another way.

quote:
Originally posted by derrickleggett

If you need this level of security, you need to redesign your permission schema.

1. Users have EXEC permissions on procedures ONLY.
2. The public group is restricted to a bare minimum of what it needs.

If you do this, it won't matter if they have access to DTS. There won't be anything they can see with it.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 00:45:58
There is no other way. You need to setup the security right. Either that, or uninstall the client tools from there machines, which is much more likely to make them angry. Fixing security is the right way to fix it.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 12:19:37
Is this in a production environment or just in dev? In dev, developers should have access to the tables which means that they would be able to import data using DTS or any other tool. If production, well developers shouldn't have access except through the app which should only have access to stored procs as Derrick mentioned.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 07:30:21
thanks for the info everyone...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -