Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 MSSQLServerOLAPService ownership

Author  Topic 

wardsan
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 07:23:35
Folks,
I have just installed the analysis services on one of our sql servers and I see the above service running as localsystem. Can I change this to run under our sqlserver domain account?
If I leave the ownership as localsystem and delete the builtin\administrators login, will I cause a problem?
TIA

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 09:48:39
You can change it to run under a SQLServer Domain Account.

Are you wanting to remove builtin\administrators from SQL Server???? If you do this, you need to make sure you setup another user FIRST with GOD rights on the SQL Server. Otherwise, you'll find yourself in a bit of a pickle.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

wardsan
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-26 : 11:01:29
We have a domain user called sqlserver which has local admin on this server and lots of other privileges. We normally ensure that the sqlserver and agent services run under this account. We also made it policy to delete the builtin\adminstrators account because of security problems. Is it ok for me to make the sqlserver account the owner of the mssqlserverolapservice? What exact privileges do I need to have granted to this user to avoid problems?
Also, the mssqlserveradhelper - can I run that under the sqlserver account?

Another question I had is if I leave the olap service running under localsystem, what account does the service establish a connection under to the sql server? Do I need to have a windows authenticated sql server account corresponding to localsystem windows a/c?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -