Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 DTS & scheduled job

Author  Topic 

RoyalSher
Yak Posting Veteran

95 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 07:47:43
In my shop I have a DTS package scheduled at early hours of the day. It failed today with a deadlock error and I had to re run the job and it failed again saying deadlock situation.

I can't kill the process which is another important process happening at that time (blocking process). So, I decided to run the DTS package manually, and to my surprise it ran successfully without any deadlock errors, at that time the blocking process is still alive.

Here, I had a question would the deadlock situations be captured in DTS pakcage run manually or automated ? Or is there something else which I need to know.

Thanks in advance

RoyalSher.
The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 07:56:27
Just because a blocking process is "still alive" doesn't mean it's still blocking. Could it have been past the statement that was causing the blocking in the first place? If you haven't wrapped the entire blocking process into a BEGIN...COMMIT transaction, this is quite possible.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

RoyalSher
Yak Posting Veteran

95 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 08:06:24
Thanks derrick for a quick response. So you would say, in case the past statement was causing the block would it have thrown an error while I was executing DTS package.

I just wanted to clarify that there is no difference between running the job calling the dts package and running dts package manually.

RoyalSher.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 08:13:59
There is no difference, so it would have thrown the error. They only difference between the job or you running it is the security context the job gets executed under.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

RoyalSher
Yak Posting Veteran

95 Posts

Posted - 2004-07-27 : 08:30:10
Hey Derrick thanks a bunch!

RoyalSher.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -