Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Attach/detach tables

Author  Topic 

inancgumus
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-18 : 06:36:23
I have partitioned a table into ~50 mini tables each has ~50 millions of records. I want to make BACKUPs for each mini table into their own files. And after BACKUP I would put them in tapes and will drop each table (or detach, is there any trick?) from the database to save space.

Then if I need one of them (each mini table represents one distinct concept, and has a constraint on some foreign key) later for the reporting purposes I would just do RESTORE on the one that I have interested into the production database without making a FULL RESTORE. Is this possible ?

Additional Note: I cannot use filegroups cause there is a limit 256 max and neither they do not permit to put the database tables into their specific files. I would have more than 50 mini tables in the future (I think it would be ~400).

""Also"", if I make it with filegroups BACKUP/RESTORE, it would suck big time because the size of the tables which filegroup would be pointed! So, I have to prevent it with storing tables in their own files and doing backup/restore on them as the same logic with attaching/detaching databases.

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-18 : 06:40:39
I would use BCP to copy out the contents of each table - this would be the quickest option and should be easy enough to implement. Once you've bcp'd the data out you can drop the table.
To re-create all you need to do is run the create table script then the bcp / bulk insert command to get the data back in.
You shouldn't need to resort to Backup/Restore for this.
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-18 : 08:11:39
Why not put each "mini table" into it's own database for Backup / Restore.
You can have up to 32767 databases...
But I would probably just backup the database and then drop it.
Restore on a "need to report" basis.

/rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -