Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Clustering Question(s)

Author  Topic 

SqlZ
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 10:33:28
Here is my situation:

I have installed 4 Active Passive clusters successfully and 1 of those in Server 2003. I have never installed Active/Active cluster before so I was looking for any documentation one might be able to point me to to do this.

I was also curious if you can set up a single node so in the future you can make it part of an Active Active cluster without having the second node and doing a reinstall. I am under the impression that you can set up SQL Server clustering without both nodes...correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"DBAs are overpaid and their jobs are easy...heck, I could do it."

-Quote from a former boss who calls often for help and doesn't get any :)

SqlZ
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 15:04:58
As long as the MS Cluster Service was installed and running you can do it. Also found that Active/Active is basically two Active/Passive installs--one for each node, default instance and named instance.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 16:00:39
:) That's always fun to try and explain to people.

Server1......Server2
Active.......Passive
Passive......Active

That's an active/active cluster in SQL Server. I love having senior management tell people...."well, we can just use active/active clustering with that database server. We won't have to change anything at all, and both servers will load balance.". Wow.....you have been really good when you actually worked instead of just trying to micromanage people.

:)

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -