Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Phantom Indexes

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 14:46:00
I've got two cases of "phantom" indexes. I have an entry in sysindexes but the index doesn't appear in EM. Has anyone seen this before?

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 14:55:56
I have not. But then again I do not think that I've ever cross referenced what I see in EM with what I see in sysindexes. Are any queries able to use the index? I wonder if it's possible for it to be orphaned in the system tables. Anyone modifying the system catalog directly?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 15:10:12
Well ... that wasn't difficult to figure out. And it was even in Books Online if I dug enough. The entry for indid in sysindexes states

ID of index:
1 = Clustered index
>1 = Nonclustered
255 = Entry for tables that have text or image data

I was seeing all the 255 entries and trying to reindex them. I'm also seeing entries with a 0. I haven't figured those out yet but I'm guessing it's nothing too bad.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-19 : 15:15:29
You might take a look at my isp_DBCC_DBREINDEX blog. You'd be interested in the dynamically built select statement that grabs the indexes to be reindexed. Nigel helped me out with it.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -