Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup to network driver fails

Author  Topic 

ivanrdgz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-20 : 15:21:51
Hi,

Backup fails with this message:

2004-08-20 13:43:27.29 spid53 BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia: failure on backup device '\\10.100.8.8\SQLBACKUP\MTA_SQL_BACKUP\backup.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no long
er available.).
2004-08-20 13:43:27.29 backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE MTA_SQL TO DISK = '\\10.100.8.8\SQLBACKUP\MTA_SQL_BACKUP\backup.bak' WITH INIT

The database is about 14 Gb.

I tried backuping to another computer on the network and got the same result.

Any advices please

Thanks

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-20 : 15:23:46
This is why you should first backup to the local disk then copy the file to the network resource. Backups are so important and you can't afford to not get a backup due to a network hiccup.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

ivanrdgz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-20 : 15:50:39
You are right and I do know that backing to a local driver is the best option, but unfortunately not sufficient space on the local drivers left. I am waiting for an upgrade in couple of weeks so in the mean time I was triying to user a network place.

How about backing directly to a local Tape?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-20 : 15:54:42
You can use a tape if you have a DLT drive local to the database server.

14GB is going to be very slow to backup to a network resource. Let's say that process takes a couple of hours. If at any time during the backup a network hiccup occurs, your backup is going to fail. It doesn't keep trying.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 15:53:16
Have you talked to your network people about this? You really can't afford to wait a couple weeks to get your backups working. They need to put a trace on the network and figure out what's going on. They also need to look at the NIC card on the server.

Have you looked in the system event log to see if there are any other errors?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -