SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup to network driver fails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ivanrdgz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  15:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Backup fails with this message:

2004-08-20 13:43:27.29 spid53 BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia: failure on backup device '\\10.100.8.8\SQLBACKUP\MTA_SQL_BACKUP\backup.bak'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no long
er available.).
2004-08-20 13:43:27.29 backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE MTA_SQL TO DISK = '\\10.100.8.8\SQLBACKUP\MTA_SQL_BACKUP\backup.bak' WITH INIT

The database is about 14 Gb.

I tried backuping to another computer on the network and got the same result.

Any advices please

Thanks

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36987 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  15:23:46  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is why you should first backup to the local disk then copy the file to the network resource. Backups are so important and you can't afford to not get a backup due to a network hiccup.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

ivanrdgz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right and I do know that backing to a local driver is the best option, but unfortunately not sufficient space on the local drivers left. I am waiting for an upgrade in couple of weeks so in the mean time I was triying to user a network place.

How about backing directly to a local Tape?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36987 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  15:54:42  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use a tape if you have a DLT drive local to the database server.

14GB is going to be very slow to backup to a network resource. Let's say that process takes a couple of hours. If at any time during the backup a network hiccup occurs, your backup is going to fail. It doesn't keep trying.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

USA
4184 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  15:53:16  Show Profile  Visit derrickleggett's Homepage  Send derrickleggett an AOL message  Send derrickleggett a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have you talked to your network people about this? You really can't afford to wait a couple weeks to get your backups working. They need to put a trace on the network and figure out what's going on. They also need to look at the NIC card on the server.

Have you looked in the system event log to see if there are any other errors?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000