Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Can't connect all of a sudden.

Author  Topic 

Blastrix
Posting Yak Master

208 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 01:05:55
I don't really know what happened, the SQL Server has been working fine for the past 5 months, right up until a few hours ago. One minute I was retrieving data just fine, the next I could no longer connect to the port SQL Server is listening on.

I was accessing the server from my home and it is listening on a non-standard port(if that makes any difference). The firewall is letting the packets through, and a netstat on the server shows the IP I'm connecting from but never anything other than SYN_RECEIVED. I am able to still successfully connect to other ports on the system(Terminal Services, VNC, etc...) without a problem. I was also able to check and verify from a second system that the connection could not be made either.

I have restarted SQL Server, and I have rebooted the machine, all to no avail. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Edit: I forgot to mention, I drove into the office, and am able to connect to SQL Server just fine from the internal network, but still nothing from the outside.

Thanks,
Steve

hgorijal
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

277 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 01:47:41
Probably not a problem with SQL server. Check with Firewall admin to see it the port SQL server is listning on is open to VPN/external networks.

Hemanth Gorijala
BI Architect / DBA
Go to Top of Page

Blastrix
Posting Yak Master

208 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 02:01:57
I already checked that as mentioned in my initial posting. The firewall is letting the traffic through, and has been doing so for the past 5 months. I checked the logs for the firewall, and nothing has been changed since the initial setup 5 months ago. Plus the fact that the machine running SQL Server shows my home IP in the run of netstat indicates that the connection is getting through.

I want to believe that something else is the problem, but from everything I have checked, it seems like SQL Server is at fault. I am able to connect to all other applications on that server that listen on a port.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-21 : 15:48:18
Run profiler on the SQL Server. See if the commands are actually hitting SQL Server. If it's working on the internal network, the chances of it being a SQL Server issue are slim to none. My bet is that the outbound traffic is being restricted. Give it a try though and let us know.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -