Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Server Registration

Author  Topic 

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 15:07:37
OK, No miracles...but....

1 day before I left for vay kay...I couldn't connect to my dev box that I had been connected to for years (Both instances...)

Called prod support for some help...

The suggested to set up an alias...ok, no sweat...

Just a pain in the neck with osql scripts....

Came back today...and my old registrations are now working again!

Huh?

Now, my associate who didn't have this problem...(who could connect with the old registrations) is now failing and I had to set her up (show her) the aliases...

Which again is painful....

It seems like or desktop support group did a push, and I got hosed...

Now my associates machine was rebuilt and now she's hosed....

Seems like a common thread...but I don't know what they could have done to our clients...

Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4

Brett

8-)

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 15:12:37
What did the alias specify?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 15:28:22
Using the Client Networking Utility...

I selected tcp/ip and identified the ip address and the port...

And that got me up and running 3 weeks ago when my DNS didn't work anymore

Now it's back, but my associate (after desktop support paid a visit) is having the same problem.

My problem happened after a push....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 16:16:24
So the DNS server must not be resolved the server names for you. I had this problem at my last job. Aliases were required for everything, either that or create an entry in the hosts file. What a pain. So you can either add the alias for your associate or have the server guy figure out why the DNS server isn't resolving the database server's name to an IP address from that machine.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 16:18:48
Yeah I did that already so she can work...

But why would dns not resolve for her but can for me...on the same domain

AND it was flukey before I left and I had to set up aliases for me, while she had no problem...

too f'n weird.....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 16:20:32
Your machine might have the info cached and hers doesn't. I bet if you flushed the entries, it wouldn't work for you either. I don't remember the commands though.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-23 : 17:55:16
nbtstat -RR

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

Martin Babb
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-24 : 02:29:44
Hi Brett

I now keep a hosts file ( old technology ) for all of my remote machines, both on my personal notebook and all of the servers and any remote machines under my control. DNS is becoming more and more flakey with each service pack and patch. This allows continued tranfer of data between machines that are not members of the domain and when the network is down.

you can find this in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Martin
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-24 : 08:56:39
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Babb

Hi Brett

I now keep a hosts file ( old technology ) for all of my remote machines, both on my personal notebook and all of the servers and any remote machines under my control. DNS is becoming more and more flakey with each service pack and patch. This allows continued tranfer of data between machines that are not members of the domain and when the network is down.

you can find this in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Martin

This is NT, right?

I'm on 2k

I'll check around...what's the name of the file...

Derrick...that didn't work, but thanks....

I'll have her reboot...

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-24 : 11:58:21
Win2k has the Hosts file too. I wouldn't recommend adding entries to it though. It's too much administration on a machine. DNS should really handle it. And Derrick's command was to break it on your machine, to clear out your cache.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-24 : 12:01:09
Oh and here's the path to the Hosts file:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Martin Babb
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-24 : 21:29:55
The Hosts file is only trouble if you use DHCP on your servers. Which I will not do on production machines. Too may services are bound to the network interface. See what happens to IIS if it loses its ip.

I have a group of 22 machines spread over 2 countries ( Aus and NZ) that all exist quite happily below the level of the domain, all have static IP's and a copy of the same Hosts file exists on each machine.

If I do add another machine to the group. All I do is add the machine name and IP to a central hosts file, add the machine name and IP to a 'RemoteServers' table and run a script. As long as the link to NZ is up and there is power to the site I can push and pull data quite happily.

The machines are a mix of NT4 workstation, 2000 workstation, 2000 server and 1 xp workstation.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-08-25 : 12:35:14
Well....

I was able to register it with the IP,Port

And I setup an Alias for her thaty looks just like the DNS name and instance...

Still so bizzare

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -