Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Log Shipping - Help needed

Author  Topic 

benna
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-01 : 01:49:29
A cheery g'day to everyone.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with the following:

I have two SQL Servers both running SQL Server 2000 Dev Ed for now, we are still evaluating, and I am wanting to set-up log shipping.

I have created a Log Shipping share on both the primary and secondary server and have tried to implement log shipping through Enterprise Manager and Maintenance Wizard. I do the following, forgive me if I am being dumb:

1) On primary go in to Create Maint plan wizard.

2) Select DB in this case BRENDAN_TEST (and select Log shipping at bottom).

3) Click through all options (I have chosen not to backup as part of plan, do I need to?) until I come to SPecify transaction log backup directory.

4) Select the directory as d:\SQL Server\log shipping and to remove files older than a week.

5) Network share I select \\ primaryservername\log shipping

6) Specify destination, I click on ADD and I select the secondary server from the drop down list. I change the directory to e:\Microsoft SQL Server \ Log Shipping which is where I want to save the shipped logs on the secondary server, I select to create and initalize new db BRENDAN_TEST, select no recovery mode, and to allow the DB to assume primary role and select the directory to \\ secondaryservername\log shipping

7) Select to perform full backup now

8) Select all defaults except for selecting my machine to be the monitoring machine, I have developer installed also.

9) Select default schedules and then click OK to confirm I get the following error message":

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)

---------------------------

Error 3201: Cannot open backup device '\\primaryservername\Log Shipping\Brendan_Test_logshipping_init.bak'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Anyone got any suggestions?

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-01 : 05:04:23
Check if the account being used in your services in primary machine is also admin in sql server and local administrator group in secondary machine.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-01 : 12:55:58
I get this error occassionally as well when I setup log shipping. It usually only happens with our larger databases. To get around it, you can setup the secondary database manually (the initial database that is) then setup the log shipping maintenance plan and tell it the secondary already exists. So to do this, you backup the source, copy the file over, restore the file on the secondary server. Make sure to use WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY so that log shipping can apply the tlogs. Then in the maintenance plan wizard, on the secondary server configuration screen, select the database that already exists rather than having it create it for you.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

randall310
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-02-28 : 13:36:26
I believe the problem is in your share permissions. When I initially created the share, the Everyone group had Read permissions only.

Hope this helps,
Randy
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -