Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 ASP Filesystem object Open/Move for Admins only?

Author  Topic 

steelkilt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-13 : 14:00:49
Hi,

I'm using ASP Classic app has the following pieces:

-- form: Loads a list of text files into a listbox using FileSystemObject
-- form: user choose various options from other listboxes
-- ASP "action" script: sends choices to SQL Server 7.0 SPROC
-- sproc does a BULK INSERT with text file data and eventually updates another SQL table
-- once SQL table update completed, FSO runs again to move the successfully-processed text file to a "completed" directory.

The only way I can get the app to work is if I give full permissions to the shared directories that hold the text files to the local Administrators group (WIN 2K running IIS 5). If I remove local Admins group from permissions list, leaving my normal logon (which is in a different domain, but still has full permissions to these shares), I get the following error:

"Could not bulk insert because file '\\servername\sharename\filename.txt' could not be opened. Operating system error code 5(Access is denied.)."

My shares are not on C$, they are on D$ (NTFS). This app is in testing and I want to roll it out to regular users. Any ideas what's going on? Is it possible that FSO can only be used successfully by Local Administrators?

thx

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-13 : 18:28:41
How is your IIS configured for security? Are you using the IWAM/IUSR_machineName accounts?
Go to Top of Page

steelkilt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2004-09-14 : 13:56:58
we use integrated windows authentication across the board.

the shares in question are also setup as virtual directories in IIS administrator.

the asp page passes the text file name to the sql sproc (dynamic sql), so the sproc is actually attempting to open the file and do the BULK INSERT.

I don't normally give permissions to the IWAM account. Would it help if I did?

thx
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -