Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Transaction log backup

Author  Topic 

chetancool
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-07 : 06:13:16
Hi Group..
This is chetan..

I m facing a problem while backing up the transaction log.

My database - datafiles (mdf) are of size 250 mb but transaction log size is 2.5 GB. When i try to tak a backup, system shows the error 'backup failed, status=112'. Shrinking of the database also does not cut down the size of the log file.

Help pls...

cjain

fvinagre
Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-07 : 07:19:18
Try truncate log, (dump tran DBNAME with no_log)
Go to Top of Page

biged123456
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-07 : 10:09:15
Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256650. It goes over reasons that the shrink will not work and ways to fix it. You may have to insert the dummy transaction it references. It was written for SQL7, but may still apply.
Go to Top of Page

sify
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-12 : 02:58:01
First : Check if there are any open transaction on the server for quite log time.
Second: Truncate the lock by taking the backup.
Third: Shrink the transaction log file.

Size of the transaction log file should be 25% of Datafile.

Also you need to check the database backup plans. May be take a periodic backup of the transaction log or change the database mode to Simple recovery.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-12 : 04:22:45
Sounds like your Recovery Model is set to full (Enterprise Manager : (Database) Properties)

if you are NOT specifically making Transaction backups this should be set to Simple instead.

See if your disk is full, if so make some space available, or truncate the log (in which case you need to make a backup thereafter as you will have no recovery path after truncating logs)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -