Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Moving SQL to new AD Domain

Author  Topic 

schreib1620
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-11 : 15:46:03
I have a situation were I have 12 SQL 2000 machines running on 2000 server but logging in to a NT 4.0 Domain. All users use Windows Authentication. My company was purchased about a year ago and we now have to migrate to our parent companies 2003 Active Directory Domain. Also, for the last six months all new employees use a employee id number to login to the network. The older usernames are first intial of their first name plus their last name (ie."jsmith"). During the migration all the old username have to be updated to their employee id number. My question is - Is it safe to directly edit the names in the syslogins and sysusers table as long as the sids remain the same. For example updating "OldDomain\jsmith" to "NewDomain\12345". Is there additional fields that would have to be updated?

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-11 : 15:56:01
How will you keep the SIDs the same when you are moving from an NT domain to Active Directory?

Can you test this with a bogus account first?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

schreib1620
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-12 : 17:44:04
Let me rephrase that. After the migration the syslogins and sysusers tables will still refer to the logins as "OldDomain\jsmith". I'm wanting to build a script, probably a cursor that will update the 'name' columns to "NewDomain\12345" for each login. I have a seperate table(employees) that contains the username/employee id data. The whole idea is to get away from having to re enter all the users and roles after the migration. The question is are there any ramifications to this approach?
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-12 : 18:58:24
OK, you will have a problem then. The name really doesn't matter, it is the SID that matters.

SELECT * from syslogins and you will see the SID column.

As I suggested in the earlier post, you should attempt this using a test account to see what will happen.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -