Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Problem with SQL Server 2000

Author  Topic 

mike55
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-27 : 07:19:00
Hi all

Opened up my SQL Server 2000 today and I got the following error: "Connection failed, check SQL Server Registration Properties". Now when I go to Edit Registration Properties I find that the Connection is using Windows Authentication. In an attempt to get the system working I change the authentication mode to SQL Server authentication. When I click ok, I get the following error: "SQL Server Registration failed because the connection failed displayed below. Do you wish to modify it anyway? SQL server does not exist or access denied.
ConnectionOpen(Connect())"

Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem.

Mike55

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-27 : 07:43:55
I guess you are talking about your client.
Is the sql server started?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-10-27 : 21:37:06
1. "Connection failed, check SQL Server Registration Properties". Now when I go to Edit Registration Properties I find that the Connection is using Windows Authentication
a. probably your windows account was prevented from opening the sql server, or the built-in adminstrator was deleted from sql logins?
b. someone logged off or restarted the server using a different logon account?

workaround: do you have a workstation that can connect to this server with sa privilege?

2. In an attempt to get the system working I change the authentication mode to SQL Server authentication. When I click ok, I get the following error: "SQL Server Registration failed because the connection failed displayed below. Do you wish to modify it anyway? SQL server does not exist or access denied.
ConnectionOpen(Connect())"
-- the account you used is either invalid or the password is incorrect, i'm assuming you're using an account with sa privilege to make the changes if necessary.

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -