Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL Server Errors

Author  Topic 

mwithrow
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 11:11:03
Hello,
I am new to SQL and I running SQL 2000 SP3 on W2K3. I am running 1 instance with 3 DB's. Upon setting up the 3rd DB I got the following error in the Event Viewer.

Failed to open the database connection: Unspecified error, Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, Description: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired; provider error 0: value = -2147467259, description = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired, source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, sql state = S1T00, native error = 0

Can anyone assist me?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 13:32:59
What else are you running on this server? SQL Server should be on a dedicated machine. The fact that this error is popping up on the SQL Server means that you are running other things. The default timeout setting is 30 seconds in most applications. SQL Server isn't timing out per se as it allows you to run queries indefinitely. But your application has the timeout option so is cancelling the query after 30 seconds. So you can up this value in your connection string, or fix the performance problem which could involve database redesign, query redesign, hardware upgrade, etc...

Tara
Go to Top of Page

mwithrow
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 14:08:41
Hello Tara,
Thank you for your response. Yes I am running other applications on the server. Citrix Web Interface, Program Neighborhood Agent, Terminal Server Licensing, and Citrix Licensing as well as SQL. It seems like a load but the box is a HP DL580G2 with 4 3.1 Gb proc and 8 GB of Ram. How exactly would I go about uping the timeout value in the connection string.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 14:45:22
How exactl you did it, well I can't help you out with that. Find a forum that has your programming language such as www.asp.net and ask how to change the timeout value there. The point is that the value isn't changed at SQL Server but rather in your app or the connection string.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

mwithrow
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 14:55:41
Tara,
I will look into it, thanks. Try this one. I can't create an ODBC
connection from a W2K box to my W2K3 box running SQL. I verified the MDAC versions. The W2K3 box is 2.7 and the W2K box is 2.8 (just updated. When I try to locate the named instance of SQL on the W2K3 box it is not seen. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 14:57:47
You'll need to create an alias on the client machine. You can do this with the SQL Server tool called Client Network Utility.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

mwithrow
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 15:09:29
So I load the SQL Client Network Utility on the W2K box and create an alias to the W2K3 SQL box?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-11-30 : 15:14:15
Yes open that utility from your Win2k box. Go to the alias tab. Type in ServerName\Instance name of the SQL Server for the alias name. Select TCP/IP. Type in the ServerName and port number of the instance for the TCP/IP fields.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

mwithrow
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-01 : 08:13:30
Tara,
Thank you. Everything is now functioning properly.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -