Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 What does OSQL.exe come with?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-02 : 08:16:24
Soumya writes "I am developing a web application which has an installer.The installer installs the application files and creates a sql server database by running a .sql file with the osql.exe utility.This approach works fine if the installer in running in a machine which has sql server 2000 installed.But since in production scenarios the web server and database server are generally in two different machines and the installer will be running in the web server machine,the installer fails to create the database because it cannot find the osql.exe utility in the web server machine which does not have sql server installed.In this case I was thinking about telling my client to install MSDE 2000 in the web server machine so that the installer can find the osql.exe utility.Is this the correct way?And can there be any other way to do this so that the client does not need to install the desktop engine in the web server(beacuse it does not make any sense to have a database engine in the web server with a separate server dedicated for handling database) but can still have access to the osql.exe utility?Will it be able to work if I deliver the osql.exe utility as a standalone exe with my installer and run it from the installer?I did try this with a couple of machines but there the osql.exe utility reports an error about connection protocol and says that the access to the sql server is denied.(This problem got resolved once those machines had the MSDE installed.The installer accesses the osql.exe utility that ships with MSDE and creates the database).Is there any problem with protocol or security if the osql.exe is run as a separate utility from a machine which does not have sql server or MSDE installed?"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-02 : 08:17:52
What is up with this recent trend of run-on, unspaced sentences?

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43230
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -