Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Execution plans differ?

Author  Topic 

jonbprime
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 11:32:41
I have 2 SQL Server 2000 servers with what I think are identical DB’s in them (I copied the DB from one to the other). When I run a particular query, the execution plans are different (one is fast, one is very slow). The query involves a remote linked SQL Server (SRV5). My question is why are the plans differing, and what’s a good way to track down the reason? I am not an experienced DBA and inherited this code from a developer who left our company.

Here is the query:

SELECT DISTINCT b.CITY, a.NPA, b.STATE
FROM [SRV5].NPANXX.dbo.NumAvail a LEFT OUTER JOIN
FONEDATA b ON a.NPA = b.NPA AND a.NXX = b.NXX
WHERE (a.NXX <> '000') AND (b.STATE = 'AZ')

On the 2 servers I run the query, the FONEDATA table is local and appears to be identical between the 2 machines.

Here are the execution plans:

Server 1(fast):

Sort(DISTINCT ORDER BY:([b].[CITY] ASC, [SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA] ASC))
|--Hash Match(Inner Join, HASH:([b].[NPA], [b].[NXX])=([SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA], [SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NXX]), RESIDUAL:([b].[NPA]=[SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA] AND [b].[NXX]=[SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NXX]))
|--Table Scan(OBJECT:([GlobalNPANXX].[dbo].[FONEDATA] AS [b]), WHERE:([b].[STATE]='AZ'))
|--Remote Query(SOURCE:(SRV5), QUERY:(SELECT a."NXX" Col1017,a."NPA" Col1016 FROM "NPANXX"."dbo"."NumAvail" a WHERE a."NXX"<>N'000'))

Server 2(slow…):

Hash Match(Aggregate, HASH:([b].[CITY], [SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA]), RESIDUAL:([b].[CITY]=[b].[CITY] AND [SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA]=[SRV5].[NPANXX].[dbo].[NumAvail].[NPA]) DEFINE:([b].[STATE]=ANY([b].[STATE])))
|--Nested Loops(Inner Join, OUTER REFERENCES:([b].[NXX], [b].[NPA]))
|--Sort(ORDER BY:([b].[NXX] ASC, [b].[NPA] ASC))
| |--Table Scan(OBJECT:([GlobalNPANXX].[dbo].[FONEDATA] AS [b]), WHERE:([b].[STATE]='AZ'))
|--Table Spool
|--Remote Query(SOURCE:(SRV5), QUERY:(SELECT a."NPA" Col1008 FROM "NPANXX"."dbo"."NumAvail" a WHERE a."NXX"<>N'000' AND ?=a."NPA" AND ?=a."NXX"))

Thanks,
-Jon

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 13:06:35
Have you tried running an UPDATE STATISTICS...WITH FULLSCAN on all the affected tables on both servers? Try that and see if the plans change.
Go to Top of Page

jonbprime
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 15:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Have you tried running an UPDATE STATISTICS...WITH FULLSCAN on all the affected tables on both servers? Try that and see if the plans change.

It tried this on the "slow" server (FONEDATA table) and it did not help. I don't want the to do it on the "fast" server because I would be in trouble if that made my fast server slow. It seems like it should make no difference what I do on the remote server referenced in the query (but I could be wrong about that).

Any other ideas?

-Jon
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 16:01:51
How fast can fast be if it's doing a scan in the first place?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 16:07:42
I forgot to add, you should do a DBCC FREEPROCCACHE and DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS after you update the stats. That way SQL Server will flush data and plans from their caches and recompile the plans.

Unless you update the stats on both servers, there's no way to truly compare the two plans. Worst case, if the fast server gets slow, then the query probably needs to be rewritten. Join hints may be required.

I would take another look at how the linked servers are set up on each machine, because the remote query plan should not differ at all but it does. There might be a setting there that needs to be changed.

Another thing: is the hardware on the 2 servers identical? Are the server settings and database configs the same? If not, they may be the real reason the query is slow on one and not the other.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 16:08:56
Maybe you could add this index and then see what happens

CREATE INDEX FONEDATA_IX99 ON FONEDATA (NPA, NXX, CITY, STATE)

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

jonbprime
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 18:36:03
Ok Thanks for the info. As far as the speed, one takes 3 seconds, the other takes 30.

The funny thing is, if the state parameter is 'CA' instead 'AZ' the query is fast on both servers, event though there is more California data in our tables!

If this does not work, I may just wait until we move all of our DB's to the same server and fix the bad SQL...

Thanks,
-Jon
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 18:47:22
How was the copying of the database done? With backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db? Or through the import/export wizard?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

jonbprime
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 19:18:52
Originally the copy was done with export/import. Then as a test I did a backup and restore to another server, but it was just as slow as the server with export/import.

-Jon
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-13 : 12:23:36
Import/export does not grab your indexes or FKs. I would redo the backup/restore and do what Rob suggested in his first post on this database.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-13 : 12:44:45
What are stats going to do for a query that's scanning the table?

You need the index I gave you.

(Then you might want to consider stats and a reorg)

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -