Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 NT Groups or Application Roles

Author  Topic 

clarkbaker1964
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 15:06:36
I have an application with 31 users, this application needs to access 7 servers and 45+ databases...
Currently we are using an Application account, this however means we are hardcoding the password in the app.

I'm struggling with creating an NT Group and then granting permissions to that group within each server and database or do I maintain all NT ids in SQL and add them to roles...

Help appreciated... This is the first of many such apps where I would like to move to NT Security

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 16:17:55
You would create an NT group in Active Directory. Then add their accounts to it. Then add this group to each SQL Server. Then add the group to the database role, which should already exist.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

clarkbaker1964
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-10 : 16:58:28
That was the bend I was considering... I feel better about this approach given it comes from you thank you!!!

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-11 : 12:00:01
That's the security model we use here also clark.

Users--->AD Group---->SQL Server Role---->Grant Statements

You can then change anything from the AD Group on back without having to redo your permissions, which are mapped only to the SQL Server Roles. It's helped us a lot in our security audits with SOX.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-13 : 01:40:07
fyi, this will only work if users are members of the domain and have domain accounts

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-14 : 19:23:00
That's not exactly true. You can also use local accounts on the app/web servers. You have to setup the same usernames and passwords on the database server. You then grant the local/user access in the SQL Server and database.

MeanOldDBA

Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-14 : 21:56:34
quote:
Originally posted by derrickleggett

That's not exactly true. You can also use local accounts on the app/web servers. You have to setup the same usernames and passwords on the database server. You then grant the local/user access in the SQL Server and database.

MeanOldDBA

for nt accounts? really? i have to check this out, thanks for the info.

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -