Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 XP SP2 (from hell)

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-17 : 17:24:04
Ted writes "I use Goldmine. I have MSSQL Server installed locally on my lovely MS XP Home Edition system for synching purposes. The server side runs fine. But when I try to have a database alias, from within BDE Admin, communicate with the SQL server, I get:

Database Engine Error
"Cannot locate or connect to SQL server. Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access Alias: GoldMine_Sales"

BDE Error: 11277 [$2C][$D]
Server Error: <not highlighted>
Cannot locate or Connect to SQL Server
[choose Next]

BDE Error: 13059 [$33][$3]
Server Error: 10004
Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access
[choose Next]

BDE Error: 11277 [$2C][$D]
Server Error: <not highlighted>
Alias: Goldmine_Sales

If I were to rebuild this install ation and Use XP SP1, I will have no issues when installing Goldmine/SQL server. But if SP2 goes in before the configuration is complete, these problems occur. And yes, I have disabled the firewall. I do not need to set exceptions if the firewall is deactivated, or do I. Also, I have installed SQL2000Sp3a. No change. HELP!!!!!!!"

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-17 : 17:48:14
search microsoft's knowledgebase for sql server and xp sp2. The new windows firewall that comes with SP2 blocks ports needed to access SQL Server by default. This is probably what is causing your issue.

You might try searching our forums for this too. This issue has been discussed several times.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

TimS
Posting Yak Master

198 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-19 : 04:24:58
The Paradox Users Group are complaining about NOT being able to use the Pardox GUI to setup BDE Aliases (After XP SP2 is installed).

This sounds like the same problem, note the paradox people implied that the borland GUI still worked.
Correction the Borland Database Desktop worked and the BDE Admin did NOT work per Pdox News Group.

I know for a fact that I can set them up using paradox programming code.
The local app I support is a Paradox GUI front-end.

Have you tried to setup a BDE aliases using program code?

Edit: Have you verified that the DLL ntwdblib.dll exists in System32 folder and that it is version 2000.80.194.0 ? ( This is NEEDED for BDE to access SQL Server)

Edit: You may wish to try addAlias SEE URL http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?a=bde

Tim S
Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-19 : 14:14:12
I didn't think you could install SQL Server on XP home?! Is it using MSDE?

To alcohol ! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems
Go to Top of Page

TimS
Posting Yak Master

198 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-19 : 15:12:28
Yes you can install SQL 2000 on Win XP Home.

I think I have the Developer Edition at home on my PC. It might be personnal Edition.

Tim S
Go to Top of Page

TimS
Posting Yak Master

198 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-19 : 15:18:20
Your are using SQL authenication instead of NT Authenication correct?
I will try to connect from the BDE to SQL tonight if I remember.

Tried it; it worked.
Note: The Windows firewall was completely disabled.
And the BDE was installed before WinXP HE SP2 was done.
And, I used TCP/IP Protocal & SQL Authenication.

Tim S
Go to Top of Page

jbrhn
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-16 : 06:49:24

Unable to connect : SQL Server unavailable or does not exist. Alias ..

I had this error message with Delphi 5 attempting to connect to an SQL Server 2000 database under XP 2002 SP1. I tried umpteen things from all the posts I could find on the Internet as I was out of my depth. I just now changed

Administrative Tools
Data Sources (ODBC)
File DSN
dble click on your.dsn
next
client configuration
unclick TCP/IP
and it worked. I don't why - hope this of use to someone out there.
Go to Top of Page

jbrhn
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-16 : 06:52:32
Oops, a line dropped off. It should finish with:

Administrative Tools
Data Sources (ODBC)
File DSN
dble click on your.dsn
next
client configuration