Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Column "limitations"

Author  Topic 

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 10:11:10
Fellas,

as I'm going along developing our production website more and more attributes are required in our users-table to keep up with business demands. Are there any implications I should consider when adding more and more columns? Right now my users-table has about 60 attributes and every now and then a few more are put in there. I can't see any problems with it, I'm just curious. I find it sort of useless to create a new table with a 1-to-1 relationship...

Any insights people?

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 10:33:29
Number of columns is unlikely to be a problem - max 1024 but the max rowsize is 8060.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_ts_8dbn.asp

If you are changing the size of columns you may be using extra columns and space though.
http://www.mindsdoor.net/SQLAdmin/AlterTableProblems.html

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 10:49:44
Thanx for the links! However I was more curious about the logical part of it, is it considered bad design to just pour in with attributes that has nothing to do with eachother except for the fact that they are related to the primary key of that table on a 1-to-1-basis?

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 11:07:00
Nope that's what the pkk is for.
If you separate them into different tables you might do it via those that are updates frequently and those that are more static or by the way they are retrieved.

Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 11:17:49
Ok, thanx bro... :)

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 12:01:17
I would personally seperate the core table with the columns that are pre-defined and constant and that are required for your app to work properly, from the user-defined attributes table, if you haven't already.

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 12:25:45
You could have a table to define the attributes so you can add them without changing structure.
Will be a bit slower to get the attributes but...

user_attribute
(
user_id ,
attribute_name ,
value ,
fk to user_attribute_def
)

user_attribute_def
(
Attribute_name ,
Attribute_desc ,
)

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-28 : 12:57:33
We have some attributes on rows in a "users-type-table" in one of our applications which are binary.

1=Paid, 2=Expired, 4=Reminder sent ...

that type of thing. The application handles the binary manipulation, so we just have a suitably-sized INT/binary column in the database. The application can utilise addition attributes (provided they don't exceed the column size)

On that tack, if you have BIT fields they are all aggregated together into the minimum number of bytes needed to store them. That's assuming that your attributes are BIT fields, of course.

Just my ramblings ... :-)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -