Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 chaning sa login details

Author  Topic 

Ex
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-11 : 00:44:53
hey all

i noticed with enterprise manager that you cannot edit the value of

USER

from security-> logins -> "select a user"
if you select a user you create and go to database access tab you can edit the value of USER (which is the same value that select USER in the code would have)

but you cannot do this for login sa

why is that? and is there a way to edit this? cause i kinda need to change this for legacy issues with some old code if possible

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-11 : 15:20:57
No there is no way to do that. And why would this resolve some legacy issues? What does the legacy system require?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Ex
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-11 : 21:25:29
they wnated to login using sa and the password

but they want the select USER value to be 'SYSDBA' like in interbase howeer after much research there is no way to do it at least i cant find a way
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-11 : 22:10:19
NEVER EVER under any circumstances use any administrator login for an application. This is regardless of which database or other supporting application being developed for. The fact that the legacy app uses it does not make it a proper practice. It is a huge security risk and makes the entire database server vulnerable for no good reason.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-12 : 12:17:31
They wanted to login using sa and the password? But why? Did they give a reason? Or are they just too lazy to tell the DBA which permissions that they require on the server?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Ex
Posting Yak Master

166 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-12 : 17:00:54
well the reason made me laught they said the application was writeen in spagety code, with the username and password all through the code :) turst me i know tw its writtein in a o-o language i dont quite understand it myself but anyways they said they didn't want to go back through it all if there was a way to edit the username (not login or password just name displayed when using USER) for the sa account :)

i told them no there wasn't and it wasn't overly secure to use sa guess we shall see
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-12 : 18:17:33
Why don't you just create a sysadm account and grant it the permissions that it needs?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-12 : 19:56:57
Tell your developers there's a way they can do a SEARCH their code! It's a great feature. Some of the more advanced software development tools (written since, say, 1984) even include a SEARCH/REPLACE function !

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -