Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQLDBA essentials

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 07:48:16
Mukul writes "Dear sir,
I want to become an SQLDBA professional.
Is certification for that is really required."

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 07:50:59
No.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kalis
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

413 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 08:18:41
As questionable as certification might be, it *can* help open some job doors, that are otherwise closed. But let me add: Certification != Knowledge

--
Frank
http://www.insidesql.de
Go to Top of Page

martinch
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 08:26:16
quote:
it *can* help open some job doors, that are otherwise closed. But let me add: Certification != Knowledge

This is very true, although gaining certification can't hurt, can it?
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 08:30:30
>> I want to become an SQLDBA professional.
Is certification for that is really required.

Microsoft certification is nothing to do with being professional or competent to do the job.

There are companies that demand it but that's usually for there accreditation not about whether the person can do the job.
And if that's the case they should put you through the exam - it's quick and cheap so shuoldn't delay any offer.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-13 : 21:06:04
quote:
This is very true, although gaining certification can't hurt, can it?
If you want to get a job at a company that's been burned by a brain-dump MCDBA, it could.

It's not the certification that's bad, it's the negative experience a lot of people have had with "certified" people who were incompetent.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-16 : 15:38:11
As someone who has the MCDBA certification let me say that having the certification does not mean you know the things that you need to know. This is especially true if you cheated your way to it (e.g., Brain dump).

If someone has tried to get the cert but has been unable to, this does mean to me that they definitely do not have the requisite knowledge.

The cert does make you look at a range of product aspects that might not be in your normal field of vision. There are straight administrators that know very little about T-SQL programming and T-SQL programmers that don't know much about proper indexing, backups, etc.

So why pursue the certification path? If you are committed to your professional path and career, you want to put together a plan for your own improvement. The certification would be one step in this plan. The certification process will force you to stay current with new releases of the product. Some will argue that the requirements imposed by the certification is minimal. Okay, they're minimal.

The fact remains, however, that the knowledge level in the field of programmers, database programmers and database administrators is abysmal. I'm been in shops where the guy with the title of DBA thought that a dataabase backup meant copying the MDF and LDF files to tape (No certification). I've worked with a database programming trainer that didn't know the difference between an inner join and an outer join (no certification). There are plenty of horror stories on both sides of the issue.

In the end there are three responses to certification:

1) You're certified - You must be an expert (Not true)
2) You're certified - Certifications are worthless (Not true)
3) You're certified - You have achieved a tangible, verifiable level of expertise and have demonstrated a commitment to your chosen field of endeavor.

But what about the cheaters? Yes, people cheat and they do so for a reason. Simply put, they can't demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency. If you've hired these people, fire them. Next, adjust your hiring process to ferret out these imposters.

Just an opinion but at least it's mine

HTH

=================================================================

Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914) [The Devil's Dictionary]
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-16 : 17:37:46
As you point out 3) is also not true.
Unless maybe the chosen field of endeavour isn't anything about expertise in the subject.

Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-16 : 18:37:48
Certification will not make you an expert or experienced SQLDBA professional.
Only practice can do that, and You don't need certification.

But I agree with Bustaz, having certified You have achieved some level of knowledge (rather than, say expertise?).
Unless You cheated, which would make You a loser anyway.

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-16 : 19:27:12
>>>Certification will not make you an expert or experienced SQLDBA professional.
Only practice can do that, and You don't need certification.
<<<

I agree wholeheartedly. Certification does not make you an expert, as I stated. You don't need certification in order to be an expert. Only experience can make you experienced.

>>>having certified You have achieved some level of knowledge (rather than, say expertise?).
<<<

Expertise - Skill or knowledge in a particular area. (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

>>>Unless You cheated, which would make You a loser anyway.
<<<

Pick your response:
1) We hold this truth to be self evident
2) A Priori knowledge
3) Well, Duh!

One item that I didn't exphasize in my original post - Some hiring decision makers do assign value to certification. Maybe I got my job (in part) because of my certification; maybe not. It is something that I can emphasize or de-emphasize depending on circumstances.

I'll leave you with one last thought and then allow you the last word. How many questions posted on this site can be answered with, "Look up X in Books Online"? If people were certified do you think the number of those questions would go up or down?

HTH

=================================================================

Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914) [The Devil's Dictionary]
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-16 : 19:30:14
How many of those questions come from people who are certified?

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -