Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Creating a view with a COUNT statement reply

Author  Topic 

windo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-30 : 11:35:01
Thank you eyechart or the help and yes it is school work. I have been fitting with that problem for hours now and could not find a solution for it. Thank you again.

robvolk: Not to sound rude, but that was not a cross post. My problem and the one you pointed to have different requirements, yes they do deal with the same database, probably someone else in my class working on the next assignment, but they have different requirements. I waslooking for help on a count command and they are asking something about correlated subquerys. I do apoligize if I am being rude, but I do not appreciate being accused of something that I did not do.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-30 : 12:45:49
Well, not to sound rude, but we don't answer homework or exam questions on SQL Team. I'm glad eyechart helped you out, but we specifically don't answer these types of questions so as to avoid the exact situation that arose here: people posting the exact, or nearly exact, question multiple times looking for the same (or nearly the same) answer. Not to mention defeating the purpose of having the class/exam. There is a difference between helping someone out and doing their work for them, and too often in the past the latter mentality has flooded these forums and caused a great deal of frustration.
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-01-30 : 17:38:44
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Well, not to sound rude, but we don't answer homework or exam questions on SQL Team. I'm glad eyechart helped you out, but we specifically don't answer these types of questions so as to avoid the exact situation that arose here: people posting the exact, or nearly exact, question multiple times looking for the same (or nearly the same) answer. Not to mention defeating the purpose of having the class/exam. There is a difference between helping someone out and doing their work for them, and too often in the past the latter mentality has flooded these forums and caused a great deal of frustration.

Rob,

I agree with everything you say, however I also see windo's point. I am sure we have all faced the situation where we have worked at something for hours and just can't figure it out. I personally don't see much difference in helping someone out with some schoolwork or helping someone out with their job.

We are never going to completely eliminate the schoolwork questions here. Part of the problem is identifying them as actual schoolwork, because our approach to help should be different in that situation. Maybe a schoolwork forum might be appropriate for that. Atleast there would be one spot for it, and there would never be any question as to whether is is a schoolwork question or not. Just a thought..

btw, windo you should search for GROUP BY and AGGREGATE FUNCTIONS in BOL (books online) for more help with the code I posted or you.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -