Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Job sites: NZ (and Aus)

Author  Topic 

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 04:10:30
Hi all,

For those of our brethern (sounds strange, typing that ) who live in that part of the world, can you recommend some good job sites / search engines, please ?

The ones I've found seems to be centered on local people - is that a general trend now ?

TIA

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Chaos, Disorder and Panic ... my work is done here!

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 05:06:33
www.seek.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au

But yes, most jobs here are for locals only. We don't really have a culture of hiring outside Australia. Your best bet is to hook up with a global company that has an office in this part of the world.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 05:15:28
Thanks Damian, really appreciate the response.

Our thoughts (Wife and I) are on emigrating, but ideally we want to arrive there with jobs. Most likely, we will need to do a long-ish LSD (Look,See,Decide) trip and try and arrange interviews etc.

Can you give me a brief take on the market - is it looking up, or rather thin at the moment.
Thanks for the links - will hit them later!

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 06:26:00
I read today that IT jobs are up 77% from last year. I don't know how that translates into the real world though, I've been fortunate enough to have good contracts come to me for the last 18 months so I've not been looking.

From what I've seen, the crash has weeded out a lot of the folks that got in for a free ride in 1999 - 2000, so there is work out there. As always, there is demand for good people.

Check those sites though, if you see anything you are curious about, feel free to drop me an email and I'll tell you what I know.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 09:04:29
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

But yes, most jobs here are for locals only. We don't really have a culture of hiring outside Australia.

Man the US could severely take a lesson from that

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 14:38:31
I feel Merkin is being a bit too patriotic. Our big companies hire the chepest they can get... And they do hire from OS.

SEEK is definately your best bet. Set up an email reminder and marvel how the hell anyone in IT can be unemployed in this country. A lot of jobs at the moment.

Mate of mine has been hiring and firing for about 6 months. He is struggling to find GOOD programmers.

DavidM

“The world is turning Disney and there is nothing you can do, and you try to walk like giants but you’re wearing Pluto’s shoes.
And the answers fall easier from a barrel of a gun than it does from the lips of the beautiful and the dumb.
The world won’t end in darkness it will end in family fun, with Coca-Cola gloves behind a Big Mac sun.”

The Beautiful South
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-08 : 17:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by byrmol

I feel Merkin is being a bit too patriotic. Our big companies hire the chepest they can get... And they do hire from OS.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. The smaller ones that advertise on Seek hire locally. As I said before, maybe try to get in with a big company there and push for a transfer.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

1168 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-09 : 03:43:47
Thanks for the responses guys.

*##* *##* *##* *##*

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -