Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Gen Network Error during Replication

Author  Topic 

St3ve
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-22 : 04:29:47
Morning All,

Hope someone can help me with this one.

We have a main database which is used with our application to save client details. There are ~200 users during the working day. When any change is made to the main database, the changes are replicated out to another database, which then replicates it to another 4 DB's (we do it this way because of the other calcluations we do on the data before its processed)

During the day, we can get a high number of Replication Agent Retry's which is concerning me, so I have set the retry count to 999 on most of the replications to keep it from falling over.

The error message I keep getting from Event Viewer is:

SubSystem Message - Job 'xxUKSCORPSQ01-RESxxxx-xxUKSCORPSQ01-122' (0x11A8166C016B2049804A3865513C294D), step 2 - General network error. Check your network documentation.

Users connect into the application via one of 4 citrix servers with this application, who all then go over the local network to the SQL Server, which has 2x100mb NIC's in Load Balencing mode. In addition to the pure SQL traffic, this server also hosts around 5000 documents, which can be called upon at any time.

I'm thinking the problem is the load coming in and out of the server, but I need to prove this so its unrefutable.

Cheers for any help.

rishimainidba
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-22 : 12:44:17
Hi ..

The kind of error that you have mentioned generally comes with irregular network connection between your Publisher and Subscriber.

To prove this you can log the results of your ping command from your Publisher to Subscriber. You can do this as follows:-

From Publisher end give this command:-

ping "subscriber name or ip" -t > c:\trace.txt

what this command will do it will log the continous results of your ping command to c:\trace.txt. Let this command run for a sufficient interval of time. After that just checkout the results in trace.txt file and thus you can figure out whether your network breaks or not from Publisher to Subscriber and if it does then you certainly have to fix up your network connectivity from Publisher to Subscriber.
Go to Top of Page

St3ve
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-22 : 15:05:10
I should have mentioned earlier, both Publisher and Subscriber are on the same server
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -