Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE login problem with sa user

Author  Topic 

adio
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-10 : 08:22:22
Hi,

I am very beginner in using MSDE 2000. I installed and started up the server, then I tried to make a connection to the server using osql utility.Like this:

"osql -U sa -P AStrongPassword"

problem:
"Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

What should I do?

Thank you in advance,
adio

SqlStar
Posting Yak Master

121 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-25 : 04:54:40
I found the following solutions from some other website.I hope it will give you some idea to solve your problem.

SQL Server has two ways of authenticating user connections:

SQL Server Authentication

Windows Authentication

The server can be configured to accept Windows Authentication only or Both authentication modes. If the server is configured to accept Windows Authentication only, clients connecting with a SQL Server account may get this error message. Also, if you are connecting by specifying Windows Authentication and your Windows account context does not have access to the server, you may get this error message.

Also try in the run command cliconfg.exe and move named pipes and TCP/IP before and after each other

:) While we stop to think, we often miss our opportunity :)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-25 : 13:30:53
Use osql -E for Windows Authentication.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

andy8979
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-05 : 04:08:11
I have a small doubt, I am confused as I am doubtful that we can disable the sa user account as it is the main sql server account as per my knowledge.
I would appreciate if any body could guide me whether it is possible to lock the sa user.

Mean while for the above posting I guess you can use the Entrusted connection option will work but the sa user should aslo be able to log in.

Anuj
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-05 : 12:37:56
No you can't disable it, but you should never use it. Create a complicated password for it, forget the password and lock it in a safe.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -