Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Copy .mdf

Author  Topic 

coolerbob
Aged Yak Warrior

841 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-14 : 03:47:16
I have a database at work. Sometimes I take it home to work on the weekend. For a while, what I have been doing is stopping sql server. Copying the DB to a portable drive. Going home. Created a DB with the same name. Stopping SQL Server. Copying the Work DB over the empty one at home I have just created and then starting SQL Server. Not the way its meant to be done I'm sure. If I am right, one of the bad things that happens as a consequence is that the master db is completely unaware of the new database and doesnt have all the system tables that is would otherwise have. Am I right?

What is the best way to get done what I am trying to do?

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-14 : 05:56:27
instead of copying the file, create a backup of the database

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-14 : 07:13:52
Also you could use:
sp_detach_db / sp_attach_db

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

coolerbob
Aged Yak Warrior

841 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-14 : 12:27:50
jen, I've had trouble in the past backing up a database on one system and trying to restore it to another. Because the target db does not have the backup in its history, you can't navigate to it to restore from it. What am I missing?
Go to Top of Page

coolerbob
Aged Yak Warrior

841 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-14 : 12:30:35
rockmoose, sp_attach_db looks like the business! thanks
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-15 : 03:07:08
quote:
Originally posted by coolerbob

jen, I've had trouble in the past backing up a database on one system and trying to restore it to another. Because the target db does not have the backup in its history, you can't navigate to it to restore from it. What am I missing?

what do you mean, you can't navigate to it?

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

martinch
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-16 : 05:05:52
quote:
Originally posted by coolerbob

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you need to do is (in the Restore window in Enterprise Manager) select the "From Device" radio button, click "Select Devices...", then select the "Disk" radio button, and click "Add...", and then point it to the backup file using the file browser.

Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-16 : 07:57:57
Even better, skip Enterprise Manager entirely, and use Query Analyzer:

RESTORE DATABASE myDB FROM DISK='\\uncpath\to\backupfile.bak'
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -