Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 connection string

Author  Topic 

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-29 : 18:22:02
This is my first time, creating webform that I need to access to sql database. I don't know how to set up my connectionstring and plug in everything. I am using vb.net

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-29 : 20:04:51
If you just want to know the format of the connection string, look at www.connectionstrings.com . If you need to know how to connect, there are a lot of sites out there with this information. Check out www.asp.net and see the samples they have. They walk you through this process.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-30 : 11:22:24
Thank you so much for your help. I have looked those links you proved, but I think here is my problem, I will create simple connection to sql database so I can open the database and read the records, I have put together this code below and gives me error OleDbConnection is not defined. It also gives me Message box is not defined either but I don't care about this I will take out that part already. I am thinking I already defined OleDbConnection this.

<code>
Public Sub CreateOleDbConnection()
Dim cn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("myConnString")
Dim cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand
Dim rs As OleDb.OleDbDataReader

Dim myConnString As String = _
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;User Id=ghgh;Password=;database=ghghjgjj_SQL_database;Server=111.111.0.11"
Dim myConnection As New OleDbConnection(myConnString)
myConnection.Open()
MessageBox.Show("ServerVersion: " + myConnection.ServerVersion _
+ ControlChars.NewLine + "DataSource: " + myConnection.DataSource)
myConnection.Close()
End Sub
</code>
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -