Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Latest Backup Media

Author  Topic 

tugnait
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-04-14 : 01:40:10
Hi all,

Would any body tell me the latest database backup media. Currently I am using DAT for the backup. Our is a Production database. any suggesion would be appriciated.

regards,
Sneha Tugnait

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-14 : 01:43:22
I would backup to local disks, then copy to tape, or some other backup media.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-14 : 09:54:04

As always, it depends on many things:
How big is your database, how long is your backup window, what else do you need to backup, how much money do you have to spend, what backup software you are using, which version of DAT are you using, what is your expected growth in files to be backed up, how long do you need to retain the tape backups, etc.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-14 : 11:52:56
I would recommend you look at solutions that use LTO mechanisms. They are the fastest available with very high capacity. I would avoid using DLT formats (including SDLT) since they can't really compete with the performance/capacity of the LTO mechanisms. Get away from DAT as soon as you can. that was a crappy format 8 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better.

Everyone needs to have a decent tape subsystem, even if you backup directly to disk you still need to put it on tape for DR purposes.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-14 : 17:48:50
I agree if you have the money. SDLT isn't THAT bad. DLT....YUCK!!!!

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -