Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 ConnectionString Case-Sensitive?!!!

Author  Topic 

markduran
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-21 : 05:41:47
I'm using MSDE release A that servers as a local storage for caching.
I've setup another instance for my msde database.
Whenever I connect to the msde database, using the connectionstring property in SqlConnection(ADO.Net),
setting the Data Source Property to :
"Data Source="(LOCAL)\INSTANCENAME";Initial Catalog=Toys;User ID=sa;Password=foo;Persist Security Info=False;"

Opening the sqlconnection returns an sql exception saying "SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

however, setting datasource (local) to lowercase like :
"Data Source="(local)\INSTANCENAME";Initial Catalog=Toys;User ID=sa;Password=foo;Persist Security Info=False;"

opens the connection and works, lowercase (local) and . works but uppercase (LOCAL) doesn't!!!

I don't see this problem in SQL Server...
What's Wrong?! Is MSDE case-sensitive?!!

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-21 : 14:06:16
I'm surprised that the connection is case sensitive like that, but it does not reflect on whether the database is setup with a case-sensitive collation or not.

Then again, I never use "(local)". I always use the computer name, even when it's my own.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

markduran
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-22 : 00:52:36
weird thing is, the error only comes up when connecting using sqlconnection.
connecting with query analyzer works fine with the uppercase (LOCAL) and enterprise manager register it successfully.... Tongue Tied
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-22 : 02:07:45
Well, my fallback generic answer is to check to make sure you have a current version of MDAC installed...

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

markduran
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-22 : 05:13:51
I have the latest version of mdac, I reinstalled it but I still get the same behavior
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -