Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Help - master database got corrupted

Author  Topic 

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-12 : 19:43:14
I am trying to create a sql database through the database icon in plesk and received the following error:

Unable to create database: Unable to create database-dependent object: Unable to connect to database: Master database is not exist: COM Error 80004005(Unspecified error) at execute console command -- exist-database.

I know this means that it can't connect for password or authorization reasons.

This is also a error message from the event viewer:

COM Error 80004005( Unspecified error) at execute console command --exist-database
at (vconsoleapp::start line 124)
at execute "C:PROGRA~1SWsoftPleskadminbinmssqlmng.exe" "--exist-database" "--server=localhost" "--login=sa" "--password=Aa0$!%^MY/YZH" "--database=master"(vconsoleapp::run line 134)
Execute file name: C:PROGRA~1SWsoftPleskadminbinmssqlmng.exe.

Is there another way to create a database than through the control panel?

Thanks

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-12 : 20:46:29
Look up CREATE DATABASE in Books Online.

The part of your error message "Master database is not exist" may mean that you have bigger issues than expected. The Master database controls all of the others. If you simply can't connect to the server then it may be a security/login problem. If Master no longer exists, howevewr, you are in for a world of hurt unless you have a good backup.

Note that recovering the Master database from backup is different then other databases. As always, Books Online can run you through the necessary steps.

Good Luck!

HTH

=================================================================
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently. -Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)

Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-12 : 21:09:39
I am just in the stages of installing MSDE and have nothing to recover from the master database.

I will check the book...

Since I have nothing to lose is there an easy way to start over?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 12:02:54
I installed MSDE200A on my windows 2003 internet server and somehow I think the master database got corrupted. (this thought comes from some error messages)

So I unstalled it and installed sp4. Installation went find.

1) Did the installation of sp4 create a new master database or could the corrupted one still be on the server? I ask because I still can't create a database from my plesk control panel.

2) rebuildm.exe doesn't work because MS didn't include rebuildm.dll in sp4. How can I get rebuildm.dll or rebuild the master database?

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -