Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Who can email me rebuildm.rll?

Author  Topic 

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 16:57:57
I have ordered Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer but I need rebuildm.rll so I can rebuild my master database tonight.

Microsoft doesn't have rebuildm.rll in any of their downloads.

Pleaseeee

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 17:32:53
How do you know that you'll just need this one file?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 17:57:21
I don't but when I double clicked rebuildm.exe it said I didn't have rebuildm.Rll and I found a page on microsoft's site that talked about a workaround by taking rebuildm.exe and rebuildm.rll from the cd and putting them in folder to rebuild the master database.

Hell I don't even know that I need to rebuild it.

Bustaz Kool suggested at http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49713 that my problem at that topic might be a missing master database.

Here is the error I am getting when I try to create a database:

I am trying to create a sql database through the database icon in plesk and received the following error:

Unable to create database: Unable to create database-dependent object: Unable to connect to database: Master database is not exist: COM Error 80004005(Unspecified error) at execute console command -- exist-database.

I know this means that it can't connect for password or authorization reasons.

This is also a error message from the event viewer:

COM Error 80004005( Unspecified error) at execute console command --exist-database
at (vconsoleapp::start line 124)
at execute "C:PROGRA~1SWsoftPleskadminbinmssqlmng.exe" "--exist-database" "--server=localhost" "--login=sa" "--password=Aa0$!%^MY/YZH" "--database=master"(vconsoleapp::run line 134)
Execute file name: C:PROGRA~1SWsoftPleskadminbinmssqlmng.exe.

I have been stabbing in the dark for over a week trying to get MSDE installed and working. I finally removed 2000a today and installed sp4 but nothing changed.

Would love any help or suggestions.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TimS
Posting Yak Master

198 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 17:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by tduggan

How do you know that you'll just need this one file?

Tara

Might wish to look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274390

Tim S
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:03:40
Thanks Tim

That is where I discovered all I was missing was rebuildm.Rll
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:08:09
MYSQL and SQL probably don't share the same master database but just in case...

MYSQL is working on the server.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:11:02
Looking back at your posts, I realize now that we've already verified that the master database exists via the osql.exe commands I had you run. So I don't think rebuilding master is going to help you out any.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:20:56
That's great then the major problem isn't a problem.

I still can't get a database created. Since I don't have enterprise manager I can't create one there. So I was trying to create it through my control panel Plesk. But I get the above error message. I even tried to create a ODBC DNS connection but I get this error message:

Unable to connect to the data source using the defined settings. Server has returned: ODBCError 08001: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ODBCError 010000: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen(Connect())

Im using sa as a uid and the password I created when I installed sql.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:27:54
The error message that you are getting is referring to either the MSSQLSERVER service being stopped on the db server or some network issue, possibly the client machine needs to know how to talk to the db server which can be done with an alias.

I don't know what Control Panel Plesk is, never heard of it.

To create a database, open a cmd window:

osql.exe -SserverName -E
>1 USE master
>2 GO
>1 CREATE DATABASE Sales
ON
( NAME = Sales_dat,
FILENAME = 'c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\data\saledat.mdf',
SIZE = 10,
MAXSIZE = 50,
FILEGROWTH = 5 )
LOG ON
( NAME = 'Sales_log',
FILENAME = 'c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\data\salelog.ldf',
SIZE = 5MB,
MAXSIZE = 25MB,
FILEGROWTH = 5MB )
GO
>2 GO

CREATE DATABASE example above is copied directly from SQL Server Books Online, modify as needed.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 18:53:14
Tara

Thanks you.
Go to Top of Page

Crito
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-13 : 22:49:55
FYI isql and osql get replaced by sqlcmd in SQL Server 2005... for no good reason other than to be different apparently :o Luckily Sybase works with Windows and Linux (and the ASE Express Edition for Linux is even free.) ;)

http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo
shameless plug <g>
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-14 : 14:02:09
quote:

for no good reason other than to be different apparently

You obviously haven't used the new tools or read any of the release documentation. Why don't you try doing that?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

Frost
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-14 : 15:30:41
The sybase link looks like Sybase but if you try to get any download it asks for email address, names, etc.. and then doesn't work. My thoughts are it'a a spam miner that is just looking for email addresses.

Vernon

"Never argue with an idiot..they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with years of experience"
Go to Top of Page

Crito
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-16 : 15:37:56
I've download and installed ASE Express Edition for Linux, so not sure what the problem you're having is. They will spam you however, with offers for free online training.

As to Derrick's comment: there's obviously no point in discussion anything with you. Why don't you try getting an amicable personality first. :o
Go to Top of Page

Cruiser859
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-16 : 15:52:09
Tara and everyone thanks for your help.

The problem I was having was that my SQL Server wasn't set for both win auth and SQL auth.

I was trying to connect to the server through SQL Auth without having that checked.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -