Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 There is insufficient system memory to run this qu

Author  Topic 

danielbarea
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-19 : 16:04:03
Hi,
I 've an application with 3 process running at the same time on sqlserver.
Two of them are long "Updates" (around 500.000 regs each one) and the other one is a large "insert" (around 1.000.000 regs ).
Then server has four processors and 8gb ram.

each process runs perfect when running alone.
and more, both updates runs perfect when running together.

but when the three process runs simultaneouslu, tehy startrunning ok, and suddenly this error ocurrs:
"(-2147217900)[SQL Server]There is insufficient system memory to run this query..
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers"

after that i can't run any process. I try to run an update process alone but I get this error again and again , untill i boot the server.

anybody can helps me??

thank's in advance
Daniel

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-19 : 16:09:43
Well you need to either add more RAM to the database to support the three processes, schedule them to run at separate times, or have each of them update/insert data in batches with commits in between the batches. Without seeing your code, I'm not sure how else we could help.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-19 : 17:09:44
How much memory is available to sql server?
Doesn't sound like this should be happening - but then it's a bad idea to run processes like this together. Why not run them sequentially or in bathes as Tara says.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-05-19 : 19:23:36
What service pack and patch levels are you on for Windows and SQL Server? What versions? Does the entire server lock up? What are the memory settings in SQL Server and the boot.ini file of the server? Have you ran performance monitor to look at counters while this happening? I would have a performance monitor trace writing to a file when this is happening, so I could see what the memory counters look like.

I agree with breaking it up into seperate processes; however, that might just be a band-aid for a much more serious issue. You SHOULD NOT be having this particular issue when running those statements. Also, how is the paging file setup? Make sure you also track the paging counters when you setup your traces.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -