Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Can't backup to mapped drive

Author  Topic 

ericc@cidp.com
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-06 : 13:20:34
Hello,
I see that this is covered in an old thread but I just ran into this same issue and am not able to backup to mapped drive even after following suggestions mentioned in other thread. I have tried the script mentioned in the other thread and it failed to backup to the desired mapped drive.
FYI - When I tried to add a new backup device, I only see the servers local drive and 1 other mapped drive(I can successfully backup to this drive) . I can't see the mapped drive that I added the other day. I have full access to the new mapped drive through the OS but SQL Server will not backup to it. When I try to enter the UNC to the new OS mapped drive I get the message "Unable to verify the existence of the backup file location. Do you want to use the backup file location anyway?"
In summary, On my SQL Server Machine I have 2 mapped drives. the mapped drives are on 2 separate servers. I can successfully backup to one and not the other. As far as I can tell, on the OS level I have equal and full access to each server.
Any idea what the problem might be?(other than my lack of knowledge)
Does SQL Server use its own user/pass to access the mapped drives? If so, what is it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-06 : 13:26:53
Forget using mapped drives for SQL Server.

Use a UNC name to reach the backup location:
\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

ericc@cidp.com
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-06 : 13:33:23
I tried using that and it didn't work when trying to create backup device or when trying to running the code to run the backup directly to the UNC path.
When I try to create a new backup device , I see my C:, one other mapped drive but not the mapped drive I wish to backup to. Why isn't this second mapped drive listed?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-06 : 13:54:01
Permissions (NT ones) of the SQL AGENT SERVICE logon account being different to yours perhaps?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-06 : 14:00:09
Have you tried it this way?

From the sp_addumpdevice topic in SQL Server BOL:
"
B. Add a network disk backup device
This example shows a remote disk backup device. The name under which SQL Server was started must have permissions to that remote file.

USE master
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'networkdevice',
'\\servername\sharename\path\filename.ext'
"

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

chetancool
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-07 : 02:16:47
I have tried the same and it worked.

I execuated this command :

exec sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'NetworkDevice','\\testing1\C\test\test1.ext'

NetworkDevice - Logical Name of the backup device.
testing1 - Machine Name (on which backup has to perform)
C - Share Name of the drive / folder
test - folder in which backup file is created.
test1.ext - Name of the backup file.

After that, from enterprice manager, while selecting backup device, select NetworkDevice and click on OK.

Regards,
Chetan

cjain
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -