Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL server can not install

Author  Topic 

Alex_bg
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-08 : 16:41:22
Hello,

I am trying to install MS SQL server Enterprise Trial on Windows XP machine. I have the following problem:
After I start the Autorun file on the folder the selfextraacting archive creates, and select "SQL Server Components" / "Install databse server", the setup graphical interface disappears, and nothing happens. If I open the task manager I see the process "setupsql.exe", that takes no any processor time. If I try to run the setup again I have the message "Another instance of setup is already running". I have tried stopping almost all services, but this doesn't make the SQL server to continue installation. I have tried installing on other computers with XP, there it works. What could be the reason that the setup does not continue installing on this computer?

Thanks,
Alex

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-08 : 16:48:48
I don't think that you are waiting long enough for the next screen to appear. I have seen it take up to 15 minutes. This was on a server that had no internet connection at that time.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

ctrapp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 13:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alex_bg

Hello,

I am trying to install MS SQL server Enterprise Trial on Windows XP machine. I have the following problem:
After I start the Autorun file on the folder the selfextraacting archive creates, and select "SQL Server Components" / "Install databse server", the setup graphical interface disappears, and nothing happens. If I open the task manager I see the process "setupsql.exe", that takes no any processor time. If I try to run the setup again I have the message "Another instance of setup is already running". I have tried stopping almost all services, but this doesn't make the SQL server to continue installation. I have tried installing on other computers with XP, there it works. What could be the reason that the setup does not continue installing on this computer?

Thanks,
Alex

Go to Top of Page

ctrapp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-09 : 13:43:00
quote:
Originally posted by Alex_bg

Hello,

I have had the exact same problem for months. I can't do administration on this wen app any more without direct access. I get that message too. Nothingto uninstall. Countless reboots. Arrrrggghh. Is there something to get rid of in the registry? and trust me I have waited long enough for setup to continue - days. Now the application is down due to a database error. *&^*

Go to Top of Page

Rishi Maini SQL2K5 Admin
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2006-09-10 : 07:14:33
Can you try this :-

A.) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290991

How to manually remove SQL Server 2000 default, named, or virtual instance

B.) Reboot the Box.

C.) Copy the setup files from the CD to the local Drive.

D.) Run the setup from :- "\x86\setup\setupsql.exe" instead of "Autorun"

Thanks
Rishi Maini
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -