Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Application to read trace file

Author  Topic 

pushkartiwari
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 08:11:41
Hi,
I want write some application that will read the content of trace file without help of SQL Server.

I don't want to connect to SQL Server and fn_trace_gettable function.

Any idea about how can we get to know about the trace file format .

Is there already any tool or application exist that does this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Pushkar

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 08:43:08
you know you can always write the results of a sql trace to a table

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me though the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 10:41:24
Why not just use Profiler to look at the trace file?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

pushkartiwari
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-23 : 02:44:22
Actually the problem is that I have to read the trace file that were already generated. I am having a bunch of trace file that were previously generated and now I want to convert these file into some readable format without using SQL Server fn_trace_gettable function.

Thanks
Pushkar
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-23 : 11:06:12
Best thing to do would be to open the trace files in Profiler, save the trace to a table, then play with it as desired from there, as Thrasymachus said.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-29 : 07:58:25
quote:
I want to convert these file into some readable format without using SQL Server fn_trace_gettable function
Considering it does all the work for you, why don't you want to use it?
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-29 : 10:39:42
You have to admit, it would be nice to automate some things after you generate a trace file. Like automatically loading into a database, or sifting for long-running queries, or hooking up the trace output to Analysis Services. A lot of these require some human interaction, still.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-29 : 19:03:17
You know I was plowing through BOL a few months back and thought about building something like that and then I realized that is what the indexing tuning wizard is and if I built a front end that gathered and analyzed the other stuff profiler did I could help put a lot of DBA's out of business. That is when I thought I better not.

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me though the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-29 : 19:25:03
I usually save the output of a trace to a database table, and just create a database called Profiler to put the tables in.

I have a script I use to match up the Profiler output with the stored procedures in the database to see what the big users of systems resources are. I can use it to zero in on the big resource hogs.

My experience is that a small number of procedures will consume most of the system resources, and that if you optimize those you will eliminate most of the resource problems.

We had a system where CPU usage was very high, and the 800 users were complaining of very long delays that made the system unusable. My manager started making plans to buy new, faster servers, split the app over multiple servers, etc. I ran an analysis that showed 4 procedures used 95% of the CPU time. We spent 2 hours optimizing those procedures, and cut the system CPU usage from about average 95% down to 25%, and the whole problem disappeared.

I pull that Profiler analysis script out whenever I see a system doing something like that.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -