Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Filegroups & autogrow issue

Author  Topic 

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 11:36:26
Guys,
Database has two datafiles, both in the same filegroup – one .MDF and one .NDF. The .MDF was not set to auto grow but the NDF was.

We are getting issues in with inserts into this database. Once I set the MDF to autogrow, the problem goes away. I know the MDF file contains systables, which in turn would cause the MDF file to need to grow – which it could not.

Whats occurring here? What is the proper way to address this?

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 16:18:37
The best way to manage file growth is to do it yourself manually, to avoid it happening on-demand at an inopportune time of day.

What are the insert issues you're seeing? And what are the two file sizes and autogrow parameters?

Thanks

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
Go to Top of Page

nathans
Aged Yak Warrior

938 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 16:30:36
Thanks for the reply Paul.

Well, it looks like the mdf was just out of space... by that I mean the drive, say A:, was full; though I dont really understand why the data did not just roll over onto the ndf, which resides on a different drive, say B, that has plenty of space.

We thought by turning off the "automatically grow" option on the mdf that we would avoid tapping out drive A and continue to store data on drive B without interuption.

Is this not true?
Go to Top of Page

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-06-22 : 16:47:47
Yes, the allocations should come from the 2nd file if the first file is full. Is that not what you're seeing?

What's the growth increment for the 2nd file? Also, what kind of object are you inserting into (heap or clustered index)?

Thanks

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -