Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 DTS Error when running a package

Author  Topic 

cthompson
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-15 : 05:18:46
Hi guys

I have a DTS package that was set-up in SQL 7 and was running okay for the last 2 years, and now our server is now on SQL 2000. The issue is that the package will now not run and even though i have copied the transact sql to query analyzer the code works within query analyzer, but not in DTS or via a stored procedure.

I have been able to find a error message which was generated via a job when testing the stored procedure which is:

----------------------------------------------
Executed as user: MERLIN\SQLServer.
String or binary data would be truncated. [SQLSTATE 22001]
(Error 8152) The statement has been terminated.
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 3621). The step failed.
----------------------------------------------

Can someone let me know what could be causing this type of issue.

Any help would be useful and thanks in advance.

Regards

Chris

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-15 : 05:31:40
sounds that one of the columns of the destination table does not have enough length to receive that data. Try to increase the width of that column

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

cthompson
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-15 : 05:55:55
Madhivanan

I will check out the destination table, but unless the company has changed the field lengths recently, then this may not be the cause.

The other question to this issue is that if this was the case why would query analyzer not come up with an error also as the sql statement is working okay in query analyzer.

Thanks for the advice and i will check.

Regards

Chris
Go to Top of Page

cthompson
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-15 : 06:24:23
Madhivanan

Thanks for the information. What i have discovered is that one of the data fields has been changed to include a longer e-mail address, which in effect caused the DTS to have an error.

What does surpise me though was that query analyzer did not complain about this when i checked the transact SQL.

Thanks anyway and i will remember this for the future, when changes like this occur.

Regards

Chris
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -