Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 London is getting hit again

Author  Topic 

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 08:59:48
Everyone OK?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072100474.html

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

I am available for consulting work. Just email me through the forum.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 09:32:28
www.werenotafraid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 10:41:35
Shoot. I was going to metro to DC tomorrow night. Think I am driving instead. My grandpa who parachuted into Normandy and got a chest full of medals in WW2 told me that only fools are not afraid. It is taking that fear and turning it into anger and doing something with that is what makes people heros.

Sean Roussy

Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 11:53:52
So what do you think? Poor imitation copycat crime? Or real attempt gone mild?

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 12:19:14
my money is on dime store copycats. they did'nt have a real bombmaker\chemist on board it sounds like. the bombs either did not go off correctly or they were of a real amatuerish nature. it's one thing to pull stuff out of the anarchist cookbook\the ira handbook\abbie hoffman's steal this book etc..., it is whole other thing to use the military grade stuff they used a couple of weeks ago.

Sean Roussy

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 13:06:26
"only fools are not afraid"

Indeed. They should have called the site "Continue as normal" or somesuch, which better sums up my sentiment.

However, it is impressive that that site has only been up for a week or so and has a shed load of images already ...

Take the metro, the odds of you having a car crash are scary higher coming to harm in the train and getting you to change your normal routine (presumably for something less convenient) is exactly what these people want.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 13:16:48
Can suggest these recepies:

1. England for Englishmen.

2. Russia must be thrown out G8.

3. And other bandit (or barbaric) countries should be

constantly pointed out what they are and where their place is.

4. No need to teach them good manners. Despise and isolation

will be quite enough.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 14:02:36
I hope at some point, the "good" Muslim world will take action against those that make them look bad.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 17:26:59
Whatever happens, just don't let Blair and his cronies infringe on your rights and freedoms as they try and crackdown on the extremists. We all know what happened with the so-called 'PATRIOT ACT'
They're already talking about national ID cards here in Oz. 1984 is coming....

Tim

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 17:28:44
I heard on the news that on average 80% of your day in London out in the public is caught on camera. Big brother is watching! I'm not sure how accurate the 80% is.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 18:15:24
In the last incident the police broadcast CCTV pictures of the bombers within a few days. They had located a car in a station car park about half way between where the bombers started out and London (so not an obvious place to look!).

Many of the police cars here have cameras that continuously record number plates of vehicles they "see" as they drive along - I presume these can be used along the lines of
SELECT StreetName, Date, Time
FROM CameraFile
WHERE NumberPlate = 'ABC 123'

This time the bombers ran away - likelihood is that the CCTV pictures will be on-air inside of 24 hours.

(Dunno how much of this detail makes the news over there, so I'm sorry if this is a lesson in sucking eggs).

I'm off to France for the weekend, so don't send out a search party if I go quiet until at least Tuesday pls!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-21 : 19:18:58
Not to start an argument here, so please don't, because I'd really rather leave politics out of here as much as possible, but just so y'all know there is another view represented in this community, I'd like to say: I like the PATRIOT Act and think it is a valuable tool, I fully support my President, and a National ID is not an all-bad idea.

Kristen, enjoy a few crepes for me! And be sure to root on our boy Lance!

EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 05:57:54
i don't know what's with all negativity wth ID cards????

here they're a normal part of the life for over 50 yeears...
there's no privacy issues and stuff you all worry about...

but come on... what exactly is private today...???

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 07:32:45
If google maps can show my house to the finest detail I feel bad for the govt when I get out of the shower and run to my bedroom!

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 09:20:21
quote:
Originally posted by AjarnMark

Not to start an argument here, so please don't, because I'd really rather leave politics out of here as much as possible, but just so y'all know there is another view represented in this community, I'd like to say: I like the PATRIOT Act and think it is a valuable tool, I fully support my President, and a National ID is not an all-bad idea.

Kristen, enjoy a few crepes for me! And be sure to root on our boy Lance!

EmeraldCityDomains.com

~ "Those who would sacrifice one measure of liberty for one measure of security, deserve neither" - B. Franklin

What's the point in defending the free world if it is made no longer free in the process.

Sean Roussy

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 12:55:32
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

~ "Those who would sacrifice one measure of liberty for one measure of security, deserve neither" - B. Franklin

In principle I agree with Ben Franklin's statement. But like all good quotes or platitudes, there are limitations. And unfortunately, our country has lost much of the societal factors that were taken for granted as rock-solid in Ben's time.

But we can debate this in depth over beers at the PASS Community Summit in Texas if you really want to pursue it. You are coming to PASS, aren't you?

EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 13:16:52
If I am not working, I perfer to spend what little time off I get either flat on my back reading, skiing or on the beach. Heading to Chincoteague manana.

The one Microsoft event (which was local and was a .Net thing) I attended was like some big pepper rally and I felt like the whole thing was a little absurd. Have'nt done anything like it since.

The idea of programmer party makes me smirk. Visions of what I would imagine the high school chess club social was like. Don't get me wrong, I love chess and I love programming, but not as a social event.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

GENERAL ADVICE FOR EVERYONE: Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 13:40:27
To our UK friends, keep a stiff upper lip.
You have our support even if its only moral. (our prayers as well)
You survived the bitz this is a pinprick from a insect.

quote:
I would imagine the high school chess club social was like.

Bet I could change that image If I rode in on my horse cracking my bull wip.

That reminds me, Two weeks Till our county fair, I am trying to get my friend to let me enter his wagon and 6 Belgians as I cant compete in the rodeo with my screwed up shoulder.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark

3246 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 13:41:02
Well, Sean, at 37 I'm no high-school kid. And I never really did care much for chess. PASS is an independent association, although there are of course close ties to Microsoft since the assocation is all about SQL Server, and Microsoft is a primary sponsor of the Summit. The summit is 5 days of training sessions broken into four different subject tracks and varying levels of expertise. Some of the speakers are from Microsoft and a whole bunch of others are professionals in the industry. Graz, for example, is one of the speakers, but he doesn't work for Microsoft.

There are a handful of us (some from SQLTeam, others not) who have gotten to know each other there and tend to go out for dinner and relaxation at the end of each day. Some go get drunk and obnoxious, some don't. Some build professional alliances, some don't. Some people actually learn new things and get their money and time's worth, some don't.

Maybe you should look into some other options and not judge all seminars on one that Microsoft brought to Virginia (which I'm guessing from your description was probably a free MSDN event... it's still true that you often get what you pay for.)

Enjoy Chincoteague, looks like a beautiful place!

EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 13:52:46
I apologize if I offended anyone. I forgot to wrap my comments with...

SET TROUBLE_MAKER ON

SET TROUBLE_MAKER OFF

Jim,
I have heard your 6'4" 240lb ex-army ranger stuff. I know you are a tough guy. No offense. I do not fit the stereotypes either. People who knew me 10 years ago are often in shock when they meet me now.

It's friday before my week off and I am just feeling a little obnoxious.

====================================================
Regards,
Sean Roussy

GENERAL ADVICE FOR EVERYONE: Please backup all of your databases including master, msdb and model on a regular basis. I am tired of telling people they are screwed. The job you save may be your own.
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-22 : 14:21:23
Dang I grew 2" and added 15lbs.
I will take the height but I dont need any more weight
it tends to attach around my middle these days.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -