Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup over WAN

Author  Topic 

m_saad
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 07:53:51
Hello All, in need of your assistance once again.

I am interested in keeping differential backups of my databases on another box which is hosted by a different provider than the one hosting my production servers currently. Now is there any way I can make SQL server copy those backups on that machine over WAN or any third party tool available which can manage this job or maybe someone can provide a much better solution. I cannot implement Log Shipping since I am running Standard version of SQL Server 2000. Replication doesn’t really look feasible. Just simple availability of differential backups in a period of six hours will do the job, any picks?

Machine Configurations both running Sql Server 2000 with latest serivce packs and OS Windows 2003.

Thanks in advance.

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 11:15:11
tara has an entry in her blog that you might find useful

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/04/02/1192.aspx

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-26 : 11:21:43
If you copy over a WAN, the volume of data you can copy will be limited by the bandwidth. Also, you may have issues connecting to file shares on the remote box, if it is not in the same domain.

If you can get past these issues, you can use ROBOCOPY.EXE to mirror your backup directory to another server by running it in a scheduled job. You can do a Google search to locate a copy of ROBOCOPY.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

m_saad
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 03:14:00
Thanks guys, Tara's blog is always helpful as ever.

Michael: Issues of connectivity wil come and I am looking into it. Till then if anyone can suggest another solution that will be great. Thanks Again

Saadie.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -