Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 has anyone noticed?

Author  Topic 

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 23:42:09
quarrels in the forum are now down to personal insults (or assumed to be) instead of the usual discussion on who's got the best solution

even members are posting questions which are really offending (like if you don't know the answer, don't answer)

where are the days when you can post, 'can someone help... any help appreciated...', gone? and the usual 'thank you' returned?

"Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

--------------------
keeping it simple...

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 02:03:48
mmmmmm..... OK Jen - I'll say Thank You for pointing this out then :)
I appreciate the fact thet you brought this to our attention.

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 02:07:19
I've noticed that too Jen. I've also noticed a deterioration in the general effort of the posters - maybe I'm just battle-weary on that point though.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 02:08:33
PS I also have, like others I expect, by own "Twit list", who's posts I don't bother to read, let alone reply to ...
Go to Top of Page

timmy

1242 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 02:11:22
After coming back to the fold after some time, I must admit I've noticed the same thing.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 05:23:42
well... i guess we need some new blood...

i wouldn't worry too much about it. it's just a phase... everything in life goes in cycles...
so we're down to a bad one here. no problem it'll go up again.

keep it cool folks! it's too hot anyways...
Mladen

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 05:29:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

PS I also have, like others I expect, by own "Twit list", who's posts I don't bother to read, let alone reply to ...

you know... i don't have a list like that...
my belief is that if i filter something by default i might miss out on something intersting... and that's not good

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

ditch

1466 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 05:39:06
quote:

Oh well I feel good now - I haven't made Kristens "Twist List" - cos shortly after he posted this - he replied to one of my questions - even though he called me a Dumbo

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 06:22:58
thanks guys, it's becoming uncomfortable lately reading posts

The forum is becoming a 'hostile territory' which prevents other posters to contribute their ideas because we're (yes, i'm one of them) afraid of a kickback (pun intended, he he he) rather than a feedback

This forum has been my first active membership and am still enjoying,
i've learned so much from all of you, if not for knowledge/skill, for attitude and wit.

Let's all quarrel to our heart's delight but at the end of the day forget what we've fought about the day before, we are a TEAM after all

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

coolerbob
Aged Yak Warrior

841 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 06:59:56
The world is becoming more hostile, haughty and loveless. This is just another place where you can see the proof. Thankfully there are still many kind hearted people - like the people who selflessly give priceless advice and guidance on this website. I choose to focus on those people. Helps me be more positive.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 07:11:35
Well my Twit List is in my head, so nothing physically filtering the forums for me.

But I see a name and then get the "<DING>I can't be bothered" red mist!

And as an example of easy misunderstandings my "Dumbo" was intended to refer to me, rather than you Ditch ... but so long as it found your problem then thats good.

I've posted the exact same answer to someone else (fewer posts that you, so I assumed he had it wrong, whereas intended to just be a "Sanitiy Check Suggestion" in your case).

Now ... I have posted 3 times in succession "Have you got constraints" ... now the Code is posted he hasn't (or hasn't included that bit of the code), but I'm happy to post "You need constraints" a fourth ... and more ... time if it takes that long!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 09:02:29
Good post Jen.

I like long, sometimes heated discussions on "technical" topics.
But when it comes to "personal insults" I would prefer much shorter discussions (if at all).

>> "I think You are a twat."
>> "Thank You, likewise."

Would be quite enough.

So let's see who's on my twit and twat list;
- Kristen, for sure
- Mladen, definitely
... kidding, i don't have one.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Be influenced by the dark side You must not be

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 10:06:29
Forums have their ups and downs and SQLTeam seems to be growing with a fair share of beginners (can't think of a better term).

The suggestion to split forums for beginners may be a good idea. Not so much to classify the poster, but as a reminder to the respondents to take it easy.

SQLTeam could use some forum clarification. I'm still not sure what is the difference in the "Developer" and "Transact SQL" forum. They both seem to target problems writing queries. These two forums could be merged (IMHO) and another "Beginning SQL" forum created to fill the void.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 10:33:29
How about a forum which is read-only for people with less than 1,000 posts, people with more than 1,000 posts can post new topics, but only peple with > 10,000 posts can reply.

Sort of like your own private Tara ... now that would suit me just nicely

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 10:57:15
quote:

How about a forum which is read-only for people with less than 1,000 posts, people with more than 1,000 posts can post new topics, but only peple with > 10,000 posts can reply.

Sort of like your own private Tara ... now that would suit me just nicely

Kristen

Kristen, you couldn't afford her!

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 10:59:17
quote:

The number of posts correlates to experience, but not always. Take me for example. I spend my time in the Yak Corral starting threads about dogs that skateboard. I've got no ideas on how to rank members.

For a while, the forum monitors handed out titles that characterized members somewhat. I guess they still do to some extent. Tara's risen from "SQL Princess" to "Almighty SQL Goddess". What follows that?

Regarding the low-end... whatever happened to "Village Idiot" Is he still around
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 10:59:58
Nonsense, I'd be happy to install a Real Snow slope in one of the warehouses ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 11:01:56
quote:
Originally posted by SamC

The number of posts correlates to experience, but not always. Take me for example. I spend my time in the Yak Corral starting threads about dogs that skateboard. I've got no ideas on how to rank members.

That dog was talented! I don't know what you're talking about I've seen you post some good stuff on the Other Development Tools and the T-SQL forum...muchos gracias!

Keeping the web experience alive -- [url]http://www.web-impulse.com[/url]
Imperfection living for perfection --
[url]http://jhermiz.blogspot.com/[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 11:05:31
"Tara's risen from "SQL Princess" to "Almighty SQL Goddess". What follows that?"

Mother

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

ajthepoolman
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 11:16:08
As a former forum Administrator and a current forum moderator, I can tell you that you are seeing the natural progression that a board goes through.

As your time on this board lengthens, you have formed bonds with those you like and have distanced yourself from people that you didn't get along with. And as with any gathering, there is going to be some occassional friction. It is a perfectly normal thing to go through. Just because you have never met most of these people face to face, you will still draw conclusions about them. Sometimes emotions boil over and something stupid is posted. It happens, but the moderators should be stepping in and editing posts and emailing the offending poster. I know that must be a very difficult thing to do given the size and activity level of this board.

I think that the other frustration that you see comes from so many newbies asking the same question over and over. I can't even begin to count how many times I have read "look at Books Online" on this forum. I understand where that reply comes from, afterall, you can only explain how to return '7/28/2005' from a standard datetime field so many times. But to that newbie, that is the information they are looking for. They might not of read BOL out of fear of not finding what they want, or perhaps they have been around in circles too many times in BOL. Like I said, I understand both sides. The knowledge that some of you exhibit around here is mind-boggling to me. You guys have done stuff that absolutely blows me away, even though it might be as common to you as taking a breath.

I think that the overall message is to stick to the concept behind this type of forum. Learn as much as you can and pass your knowledge on in a friendly and professional manner. Newbies don't need to see a bunch of insults and inside jokes being flung around. Save that for this section of the forum. When you are out in the developers/admin sections keep it professional and if you are going to reply, give your response some relevance. If you tell them to look at BOL, offer a search suggestion or something more concrete.

Hope this helps!

Aj
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-28 : 11:20:00
Applause!
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -