Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 materialized views

Author  Topic 

sql777
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

314 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 10:13:13
BOL says the view cannot contain: The AVG, MAX, MIN, STDEV, STDEVP, VAR, or VARP aggregate functions

so can this view be a materialized view:

create view my_stats as
select userClientID,count_big(salarybonuses) as Bonuses, avg(cast(tips as decimal)) as AvgTips from EmployeeEarnings
group by userClientID

it is using AVG but I think there is some mention that when using with count_big and SUM would make it work?

paulrandal
Yak with Vast SQL Skills

899 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-30 : 22:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by sql777

BOL says the view cannot contain: The AVG, MAX, MIN, STDEV, STDEVP, VAR, or VARP aggregate functions

so can this view be a materialized view:

create view my_stats as
select userClientID,count_big(salarybonuses) as Bonuses, avg(cast(tips as decimal)) as AvgTips from EmployeeEarnings
group by userClientID

it is using AVG but I think there is some mention that when using with count_big and SUM would make it work?

You need to define the view to include SUM (tips) so that you can select AVG from the view. Here's what BOL says in SQL Server 2005 (also applies to 2000):

The AVG, MAX, MIN, STDEV, STDEVP, VAR, or VARP aggregate functions. If AVG(expression) is specified in queries referencing the indexed view, the optimizer can frequently calculate the needed result if the view select list contains SUM(expression) and COUNT_BIG(expression). For example, an indexed view SELECT list cannot contain the expression AVG(column1). If the view SELECT list contains the expressions SUM(column1) and COUNT_BIG(column1), SQL Server can calculate the average for a query that references the view and specifies AVG(column1).

Paul Randal
Dev Lead, Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine
(Legalese: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -