Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 any idea

Author  Topic 

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:14:28
I have a query from sql, I need this query to run automatically twice a day and transfer updated data to access actually I wanted to transfer to outlook 2003 but it is not possible I guess, How do that? any idea?

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:16:53
Setup a DTS task and schedule it?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:29:11
can you please explain a little more, I have never done it before.
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:34:06
job scheduling would do that right?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:37:39
In essence:

1) Build a DTS task - its pretty much Point & Click in Enterprise Manager, unless you have something particularly complicated

2) Once you have built & tested your DTS job you can schedule it to run as often as you like

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:40:14
only think on that, I have tried that , but it is asking where to job to execute, but how can transfered to access or outlook location on that task, i didn't see that part in job scheduling part of Enterprise.
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:44:02
i did select tools and import data, then selected from where to import and I want to select OLE DB for outlook search option, but on the connection part what is my data source i don't know how to specify this,
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 14:57:58
"i didn't see that part in job scheduling part of Enterprise"

Try this in Enterprise Manager:

Right click Northwind
Choose EXPORT
Data source = Northwind
Destination = Choose your Server again, and password etc, and Northwind [again]
Choose COPY TABLE
Pick CATEGORIES. Make SURE you change the "Destination" to "TEMP_Categories" or somesuch [i.e. a NEW, non-existant, table name]. Make sure the Destination Icon has a Sun-burst [indicating a NEW table will be created]

Now then ... Instead of choosing RUN IMMEDIATELY choose "Schedule DTS package for later execution", press the [...] button and you can set up any schedule you like.

Now cancel out of this without actually executing it because I've just used this as an example exercise

(As an alternative choose "Create DTS package" instead of "Run now" or "Schedule" above; then under Data Transformation : Local pacakages you should see your package. Right click it and you will find "Schedule Package")

If that did NOT work for you ask some questions and I'll try to sort out whatever setup & configuration problems you have.

If it did work it seems to me that you need some study books to get a better basic grasp of the tools you are using. Speaking for myself I devote time here to trying to help people who are stuck, but for the rest my consultancy and training rates are $ignificant!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

notsosuper
Posting Yak Master

190 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 15:14:42
Thank you, I actually did these just fine with from sql to access so many times, and you are right I was so focus on Run now option I wasn't even seeing schedule later time, it will be okay. Do you know if I choose OLEDB Outlook search option to from sql to outlook import, what would I put the data sources on connection tab? connectionstring maybe? this way I can transfer my data from sql to outlook
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-29 : 15:30:31
I've never tried OLEDB to outlook.

These guys have fairly comprehensive connection string examples, you should be able to work it out from there:

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -